Gabapentin Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gabapentin Questions

I am new here, please be patient. My 39 y-o previously totally healthy wife is experiencing some MS-like symptoms and we are seeing a neuro and doing a lot of testing and investigation. Including investigating here.

This started late last summer with tingling and numbness and the old neruo thought was small fiber neuropathy (12.7.11). Her MRI w/ contrast (12.17.11). was clear but identified a small chiari malformation. About 2 weeks later (12.29.11) she got wicked neck pain and brutal headaches. We thought it was the chiari becoming symptomatic. 4 days later her neuro prescribed her 100mg of Gabapentin for 3 day, then 200mg for 3 days, and then 300mg a day. By the time she got to 300mg her tingling and numbness was happening all over and flying around and causing pain. Previously it had only been in her feet and hands, fading in intensity from her toe/fingertips upwards.

On the 9th day (1.17.12) of taking 300mg of Gab, with all these new and wild T&N feelings we met with a NS to discuss her Chiari (which is very mild and not believed to be causing problems, 2 Cine flow MRIs were done), she asked about meds and we said we didn't think the Gab was helping as she had all these crazy sensations since starting it. So she suggested stop taking it. And she stooped taking it that day, and by the afternoon any these wild, roaming, sometimes painful tingling and numbness were gone. And haven't been back.

All she has is pretty constant T&N in her left leg (toes to about knee, Left hand from fingertips to wrist, and everyonce in a while on her chin). I really think that she had a bad reaction to that Gabapentin and it was the cause of her crazy, roaming T&N symptoms for those 10 days or so.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Looking back I am thinking something else as well, her small fiber neuropathy seemed classic on examination (12.7.11). Worse at the extremities, but sensation got better stimulant moved toward the trunk.

The headaches and neck pain that started (12.29.11), were evaluated by her new neuro on (1.25.12) he diagnosed her headaches and neck pains as related and aggravated by the tension-headache cycle and made worse by taking too many OTC pain meds (rebounds). He prescribed her 10mg Amitriptyline and after a few days of worse headaches (probably from stopping the OTC meds) her headaches and neck pain almost all but disappeared.

She has no other symptoms and has had a TON of blood work done, a brain MRI w/contrast, a brain MRI w/o contrast for CINE flow, a neck and sine MRI w/o contrast and CINE flow, and 2 CAT scans, ALL came back clear and normal.

I am wondering if the T&N she is now experiencing is a lingering side effect of the Gab and also winding if it is will eventually go away, and when? Any thoughts on that one?

Thanks all.

Found this after doing some more research:

Neurontin Official FDA information, side effects and uses.
    http://www.drugs.com/pro/neurontin.html

** Copied & pasted material removed per MSWorld guideline #5. **

Comment

I also forgot to mention that in addition to all the N&T issues that came with this med, she developed pink eye in each eye one after the other, that also went away pretty much right after she stopped taking it.

From the WebMD site:
      http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-8217...2&pagenumber=6

Neurontin Oral

Does Neurontin Oral have side effects?
      The following side effects are associated with Neurontin Oral:

** Copied & pasted material removed per MSWorld guideline #5. **

Comment

Sorry about the copy and paste, I didn't know the rules. Basically both showed tingling & numbness (parenthesis) and pink eye were both side effects recognized by the FDA during clinical trials. Both experienced by my wife.

Comment

Working...
        X