Copaxone vs. Betaseron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone vs. Betaseron

I am a newly diagnosed MS patient, and my doctors have given me two options from which to choose: Copaxone and Betaseron. I am very unsure of which one to use.

I have heard that Betaseron can cause depression, and I have a history of said condition, so that makes me hesitate to take it. However, I've also heard that Copaxone can cause lipo-atrophy, and that's a little scary, too. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    ON Onset 08/28/2011
    DXed 01/11/2012

"You cheated on me when I specifically asked you not to?!" -- Michael Scott, The Office

Its a toss up! Those were the 2 my neuro wanted me to go with when I was diagnosed. They are both effective so its not like one is the easy choice for that reason.

I went with Betaseron because it was every other day and doesn't need to be in the fridge. I just wanted to ease into it a little...

Both have side effects and those side effects can be a pain for some and no big deal for others. I went into my choice with Betaseron knowing that if it was terrible, I could switch.

I followed all the recommendations to alleviate symptoms like taking advil before my injections, etc. and I've done just fine with it.

You may just have to make a random decision on this and see what happens since there's no real way to know why one will be better for you.
    Symptoms Oct 2009, Dx Feb 2010. betaseron 2/10-2/12. Copaxone 3/12- present.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis, Anakela.

The lipo atrophy is something that would happen in a small area, in theory where too many shots were given in a short time in the same area. Copaxone is injected into a different part of the body each day (cycling through a week), and then each body part had a chart so you can record where on your arm, or where on your thigh, etc. you injected each week so you can make sure the next shot isn't in the same place.

Clearly lipo atrophy can happen, but from what I've seen and experienced, it can usually be avoided. If it does happen you can't inject that spot again, but it is a small cosmetic issue in that spot, not a greater medical problem.

Betaseron and Copaxone have pretty much the same efficacy, so what it comes down to are the potential side effects. Betaserson can bring depression, especially in people prone to it, but most people don't have a problem when using it. Copaxone has the best safety profile, but it's an every day injection, as you probably know. Ultimately, it comes down to what you are comfortable with, but all else being equal, I'd rather risk lipo atrophy than depression. I'm also biased, being on Copaxone myself.

Comment

p.s. Copaxone can be out of the fridge for up to 30 days. I get 10 or so out at a time and store them in the autoject container in my bathroom.

Comment

I was on betaseron before and felt horrible on it. I got violently ill with each shot even tho I was taking tylenol prior to injection. I felt better without taking it. This time Im trying copaxone. Havent started it yet, waiting for funding. I'll see if this one is better.

Comment

What to do?

I'm currently taking copaxone. I just went through the same decision in July. What to take? How often do I want to do it? I too suffer from depression. That is why I chose copaxone. I have had some side effects. Large welts at injection site, chills, painful injections. I'm now trying to decide if I should switch.
            Wish I had the answer for you!

Erin

Comment

just recently diagnosed on november and started betaseron in january so been on for a month and just started the third stage of my tritation.
              The first 3 weeks I didn't notice any difference in mood or any flu like symptoms. I don't even take any pain reliever and don't use the auto injector. the other night however I did notice some aching pain around the injection sight and this morning I feel kind of achy after stepping up to my third stage of tritation.
              I was also concerned about depression as I have always had mild depression. Havent really notice depression getting worse but had a few days of irritablity that I think may have been caused by beta. I also work night shift about 50 hours a week so that had alot to do with it, I just think the beta made it worse.
              All in all, after worrying about side effects for a month before being on beta, It's been pretty easy. I am not on full dose yet but not too bad so far.

Comment

I have taken both Copaxone and Avonex (another interferon).

Developed and allergy to Avonex and was taken off Copaxone after 3rd shot due to a very rare reaction.

Both had their side effects. Both have about the same efficiency rate. If I had to do it all over again and choose, I would choose Copaxone as my first DMD...hands down. I found it easier on my body than the interferon, no side effects after the initial sting stopped and went on with my day.

Just my opinion. Important thing, again, in my opinion is to get on a DMD...so there is really no wrong decision. Most here go through several DMDs before they find the right one for them. I am working with my neuro to get on Ty, but only if I am JC negative.

Good Luck-Katie

Comment

Thank you, everyone, for advising me and sharing your experiences with both treatments. I truly appreciate all the feedback! Because of your help, I am less anxious and am that much closer to making a decision about my meds. Thank you once again!
                  ON Onset 08/28/2011
                  DXed 01/11/2012

"You cheated on me when I specifically asked you not to?!" -- Michael Scott, The Office

Comment

I have only just started Betaserone and find it pretty easy with essentially no pain at all. The needle is small and thin. It would be a bummer to have an injection that burns or stings. Side effects, thus far, haven't been too bad, but I am still titering at half a dose.

Comment

Working...
                    X