Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebif made me feel so sick!

Hello my loves!

Friday was my first rebif shot & first medication for MS, ever. I took it at 6pm with my nurse and soon went out to eat with my boyfriend around 9pm. Anyway, I fell asleep about 12am and woke up at 3:44am in EXCRUCIATING pain. My stomach felt like there were dull knives ripping apart my stomach. I was vomiting so badly I could not even explain it. I also had diarrhea so terrible and many flu like symptoms including fever!!

It was the sickest I have ever been in my entire life and I honestly thought I was going to die. I didnt sleep a wink because I literally was vomiting and the other stuff ALL NIGHT/MORNING. Eventually I stopped vomiting and such around 8/9am but my flu like symptoms were still there to the point my skin even hurt to be touched.

I called my rebif nurse multiple times and she told me to go right to the ER. Has this ever happened to this degree to any of you? The ER wasnt even sure what was going on cause rebifs side affects do not include diarrhea or fever. I think it could have been a mix of the rebif and food I had eaten.. Anyway my next shot is tomorrow and Im so afraid! Especially cause I just started classes!

xoxoxoxo
    DX:1/6/12 "Bad becomes better when worse happens."

Sorry that happend to you, what you just described sounds just like food posioning I'm putting in a link that describes food posioning and you were spot on with the symptoms. I've been on Rebif since May and never had anything close like that happen. I would not get worked up about taking your next shot, after reading what they say about food posioning I hope it eases your mind some. Good Luck I hope it works out for you

{URL{http://www.emedicinehealth.com/food_poisoning/article_em.htm}}

Comment

I am not on Rebif, but agree it sounds just like food poisoning I've only had once in my life. The fever and aches could be the "flu like symptoms" I've heard of with Rebif??

Maybe a combination of the 2. Good luck and let us know how you do with the 2nd shot...
      Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
      Ampyra 10mg 2xday
      Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

It does sound a bit like food poisoning on top of the usual Rebif flu-like effects (fever is a reported side effect). Also, if you had your injection and then went out to eat, it doesn't sound like you pre- and post-medicated, as is recommended. Plus, a lot of folks do their interferon injections at night, so they can sleep through some of the side effects (that's what I did). For example, OTC NSAID 4 hours before bedtime, injection 2 hours before, and OTC NSAID at bedtime; then sleep. ZZZzzz If needed, OTC NSAID in the morning.

Comment

I hope it was just food poisoning! Thanks for your replies darlings I just took my second shot so fingers crossed! I can deal with the flu like symptoms but add the vomiting nausea, diarrhea and fever in the mix and I cannot deal! Thanks for the kind words Im trying to stay positive and I will post how the rebif affected me this time.

xoxoxoxoxo

Comment

Again, I have to reiterate other comments that it sounds like more a food poisoning or actual acute virus than Rebif. As generally you start with a low dose of the Rebif, the initial side effects are minimal I found. However, having said that, I have been on Rebif now for over a year (this is my second time on it after having stopped it for chemotherapy). The first time I was on it I was "okay" with not too many side effects. Now it is a bit different where I get significant flu-like symptoms about every two weeks and worse dependent on the injection sites. I only use my legs now as they seem to be the best, but they are getting pretty sore. I make sure I take Tylenol before as well, which does help. Also I read that a warm compress helps dissipate the meds and it seems okay.

The way I see it is that we are at least having some semblence of control over the MS. Hang in there. Lots of us out here are routing for you!!

Comment

Are you starting with the minimum dose of Rebif in the Tritation Packet?

When I started Rebif last August, I got a kit where I only took 8 mg. the first two weeks, then went up to 22 mg. for two weeks and then finally took the full dose of 44 mg.

So I could hardly feel any effect at all at first on those low doses--then even when I went to the full dose the only side effect that I feel is drowsiness--like I've taken a sleeping pill.

Hope you'll have good luck with Rebif also!

Comment

I am only taking the 8.8 injection for now until I move up to the 22 and eventually the 24. I have noticed (aside from all of the other crazy things that happened) it makes me extremely tired as well. Im not sure if thats normal for the 8.8 dose? Warm compresses seem to help! My first shot didnt hurt or sting at all and it did not lump up in my skin but tonight i forgot the warm compress and it was more uncomfortable and kind of stung a bit. Has anyone noticed a suppressed appetite?

Comment

I had a really bad experience, thought I was going to die, as I had not taken the rebif for a few weeks then did, with out pain meds first.
                  I didn't vomit or have diarrhea but I felt feverish and agony I finally crawled to some acetaminophen and after taking that it did go away, and I will never not take the pain reliever again.

Also, then I started on a low dose for a week, before going back to the full dose.

Keep trying

Comment

Took Rebif from dx in 2005 until 2007 when I was switched to Copaxone. It was then that I realized that the side effects of the Rebif were worse than my MS sx.

Let us know how you're making out.
                    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I've only been on Rebif for about 8 weeks. I do get flu symptoms and sometimes horrendous pain in my legs. It is tolerable most nights with just tylenol. The leg pain when it comes is brutal ~ I'm currently tracking the leg pains to see if there is a relation to when I do my shots. I do wake up and have to take tylenol again during the night. Best of luck to you tonight - I hope we both make it through the night with no symptoms!
                      Julie
                      DX 11/9/11
                      Rebif Therapy 12/13/11

Comment

I threw up on my second dose of Rebif. (Thanks for sharing?) Food poisoning is the worst. Maybe it was a touch of both?

Comment

When I first got diagnosed with MS, I started on Rebif. I did everything the nurse told me, warm compress to site, premedicate etc.
                          I was always SO sick when I took it. Sick enough to be lying in bed for at least a day. Very hard to take care of family and work in this type of condition.
                          I ended up stopping because my quality of life was in the toilet and I just wanted to feel as close to normal as I could.
                          Now I am getting Rituximab (chemo) once every 8 months and it is so much more tolerable.
                          Just like MS, everyone reacts differently
                          I wish you the best....
                          Jodi
                          "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude". Maya Angelou

Comment

I have to agree it sounds like food poisoning.I've been on Rebif for 11yrs. I always take my shot before I go to bed,it helps to sleep on thru it.
                            Please keep us posted. God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

I have been on Rebif for two months. I feel like my body was finally getting use to it and my Dr. called and wants to recheck my white blood cell count. If it is low again, does that mean I will have to quit Rebif?

Comment

Working...
                              X