Oral meds linked to deaths?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oral meds linked to deaths?

At my appointment with the neuro yesterday he said an oral med for MS caused 9 deaths in Canada and 1 in the US. Has anyone else heard that? He didn't say which one but said because of it he would want to start me on injections and would not perscribe the oral treatment.

Most likely talking about Gilenya, you can see stuff posted about it at the top of the page for medications and treatment
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

For information on Gilenya:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93

Comment

Refusal to prescribe Gilenya

The medication your neurologist is almost certainly referring to is Gilenya. There is plenty of information out there about the deaths associated with that drug. I asked my own neuro about it back in September and he also declined to prescribe it due to the number of known deaths and the fact that it just has not been out that long and the long term side effects have not been sufficiently studied (according to him).

There is a lot of information online and on MSWorld about the injectable MS drugs Copaxone, Rebif, Avonex and Betaseron (aka the CRABs). Good luck with your decision.

Comment

Thanks folks!

Comment

When it was released it was known there is a measurable risk with Gilenya. BG-12 from Biogen should be coming to the Market late this year. It is a pill with a very good safety record. I would start an Injection, you can always switch in the Future.
            Bill
            Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Working...
            X