Sharps Disposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needles

I just finished a 2 1/2 yr go on Copaxone. Go to the pharm in Costco and ask behind the counter for medi clip. It is a very small blue needle clipper, it snips off the needle and holds upto 10,000! It is then completely safe and approved to just toss in the garbage. It also makes the syringe safe to throw away.
    I loved this little thing. They can order u one and it costs about $8
    Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by atsmhn View Post
      I just finished a 2 1/2 yr go on Copaxone. Go to the pharm in Costco and ask behind the counter for medi clip. It is a very small blue needle clipper, it snips off the needle and holds upto 10,000! It is then completely safe and approved to just toss in the garbage. It also makes the syringe safe to throw away.
      I loved this little thing. They can order u one and it costs about $8
      Hope this helps
      It's not strictly safe or legal in all areas, but it is very handy in some situations.

They are most often used by diabetics who would use mainly plastic syringes. The main purpose is to make the syringes unusable and remove the risk of someone getting stuck by someone else's needle, thereby exposing them to any blood-borne diseases that person may have. In some areas, the clipped syringes can be thrown away in regular trash, since they aren't glass. With the needle clipped, they'd be about as risky, disease transmission wise, as a used Band-Aid, maybe less.

Glass syringes, however can break. So with or without the needle attached, they pose a risk as far as injury and disease transmission.

Comment

I had to beg shared soloutions for the little blue needle cutter. A friend of mind was dx right after me and shared solutions send her one immediately when I called they gave me the run around and I asked them to explain their proceedure in sending some patients some things and others nothing. No phone call returned but I got one in the mail from them within 3 days. I love it! After cutting the needle I just throw the rest in the trash. I live in Florida and have checked with pharmacy and health department.

Comment

Working...
        X