No announcement yet.

question regarding avonex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was using Beta, I started having issues with the injections. I was told by my Dr and the Beta nurse to leave/put a bubble in the syringe. That was to ensure that the med was pushed all the way into the skin. (to help prevent a burn type reaction in the skin).

Debbie

Comment

Spoke to Avonex nurse today

I'm really glad this question was asked because I was shown by a nurse to get rid of the air bubbles. I read the directions and watched the video before giving myself the injection. However, I was shown by the nurse that came to my house to get rid of the bubbles. So, that is what my husband and I have been doing for the past year. However, the nurse from Avonex said NOT to push the air bubbles out of the pre-filled syringe. The bubble is supposed to be there. I don't think it will hurt you to get rid of the bubbles but I am glad to have one less step in my weekly injection

Comment

jc writes, “The Avonex literature states very clearly that you should NOT push out the air bubble.” The Avonex prefilled syringe medication guide says no such thing (see http://www.avonex.com/prescribing-in...ion-guides.xml). When I called the Avonex hotline, and I was simply referred to the medication guide.

wkikta writes, “The Drug Companies all say to never push the bubble out.”

As I wrote before, if there is a source that says to never push the air bubble out, we’d love to hear about it. As jc advises, I’m not going to avoid it just because of “advice” from a couple of people on the internet, so I’d just like to see some evidence, especially when I and others have plenty of evidence to the contrary from medical professionals.

Again, my point is, it doesn't matter what you do, there are pluses and minuses each way ... but I believe it's inaccurate and inappropriate to advise that we should not remove the bubble(s).

Comment

Originally posted by TLC_31 View Post
          jc writes, “The Avonex literature states very clearly that you should NOT push out the air bubble.” The Avonex prefilled syringe medication guide says no such thing (see http://www.avonex.com/prescribing-in...ion-guides.xml). [...]
          The Avonex guide that covers both pre-filled syringes and powder forms (http://www.avonex.com/pdfs/avonex-injection-guide.pdf) never mentions air or bubbles even once re: pre-filled syringes. But for some reason it mentions air bubbles many times in the powder section. Are you trying to say they just forgot in the pre-filled section? If you were supposed to push air out of the pre-filled syringes, I think they probably would have mentioned it....

I and others have plenty of evidence to the contrary from medical professionals.
          Evidence to the contrary? How often have you seen medical professionals using pre-filled syringes and pushing out air?
          1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
          NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkLavelle View Post
            If you were supposed to push air out of the pre-filled syringes, I think they probably would have mentioned it....
            I have never suggested that Avonex users are supposed to push the air out of the prefilled syringes. I have simply said that it doesn't matter (which maybe is why Avonex doesn't mention it), amid others' assertion that it should never be done.

Originally posted by MarkLavelle View Post
            Evidence to the contrary? How often have you seen medical professionals using pre-filled syringes and pushing out air?
            I've seen it many times prior to my own shots! Just within this thread, apparently campingirl's nurse also has done it. Despite the alarmist assertion of others here, it's not wrong. Just today I phoned my aunt, a retired nurse practitioner, and she said it didn't matter. If you don't do it, fine, but don't tell the rest of us it's the wrong thing to do.

Comment

Working...
            X