Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS, Rebif and vitamin B and D supplements

Hey Gang,

I got diagnosed with relapsing/remitting MS in May of 2006. Been on Rebif since then. Very few symptoms, if any. I was diagnosed after a single event. Well I moved from San Diego to Washington, DC last year and I am experiencing winter again. Some seasonal issues. I started taking maybe too much vitamin D (like 4000 iu) plus tanning once per week. Also I started taking liquid vitamin B complex. Well it all helped for the first couple of weeks (like so well that I couldn't believe it) but now I am really anxious and kind of restless and have trouble concentrating. People tell me I seem really on edge, distracted and everything. It's not fun. I can't relax. So i have stopped all of the vitamins for now. I will say that the increased vitamin D and tanning (once per week for 7 minutes) completely eradicated my depression. But who needs this anxiety? Not good.

Any thoughts? Have I been experiencing B vitamin toxicity? Truth be told I got the liquid B complex and was taking like 4,000 iu per day as per the bottle. But obviously that was ill advised.

Vitamin D and Vitamin B-12

I am sorry to hear that you are having such problems. I grew up in the D.C. suburbs and now live in Northern California. The weather here is infinitely better than that in D.C., MD or VA.

Before you started on the Vitamin D and B-12 supplements, did you have blood drawn that determined whether or not you were actually deficient in those vitamins and needed supplements? Since you are currently having problems that you are attributing to these vitamins maybe you should have those levels tested. If you are deficient in B-12 your doctor might recommend a course of B-12 injections with a maintenance dose of oral medication. If you are seriously deficient in Vitamin D your doctor might consider prescribing Vitamin D - 50,000i.u.

As to the tanning, that is a whole different issue. Why anyone would go to a tanning facility given the risks of skin cancer due to tanning is beyond me. You are unlikely to find any oncologist who approves of or recommends tanning in any amount. It is occasionally prescribed for Seasonal Affective Disorder but the skin cancer issue is a pretty significant drawback.

I hope you find some relief to your problems. Keep us posted.

Comment

Thank you for the very helpful reply, Jessiesmom. Points well taken. I will have my vitamin levels tested and see what has happened to them since I moved here.

Yes, I agree that tanning has a danger factor to it. However the way I see it, 7 minutes per week .. since it really helps is worth the risk. Keep in mind I lived in San Diego in the blaring sun for 5 years. But artificial tanning is certainly controversial and I wouldn't do more than once a week and only through February.

Thanks again for your input. I will keep you posted!

Comment

Working...
      X