Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oral vs. IV Solumedrol pulsed steroids

Hi!
    I've had zillions of doses of Solumedrol over the past 12 years, both pulsed and for flares. After a steroid hiatus (last use was when I tried one dose a little over a year ago), my neuro wants me to do another 6 mos. pulsed steroid regimen. I only take 500 mg. instead of 1,000 mg., because that's all I can tolerate at one time.

I have several questions. This time she mentioned that I could 'drink' the 500 mg. Solumedrol with juice or something instead of IV if I wanted to. I've never taken it that way before, only the IV route. What, if any, side effect differences might one expect from taking Solumedrol orally compared to IV?

My next question is another about the side effects. As I previously mentioned, I only tried one dose last time. That was because my once touted "Miracle Drug" that helped erase all my symptoms with minimal side effects, has become increasingly difficult to tolerate. Now, steroids flare up symptoms like tingly legs, crazy fatigue (esp. in my legs), major muscle tenderness (esp. in my upper back), etc.(symptoms I wasn't having until I took the IVSM). Are these normal side effects that I was just lucky to have avoided in the past? Or could this mean that my body can no longer tolerate steroids?

Sorry for the long post. I think I've seen people mention that after a while steroids aren't as effective, but I'm not sure if that's what's going on, or if it's something else. Thanks!

I hate the steroids because of how I feel with them, but the relief I eventually get is worth it to me. I feel lots of pain between my muscles and skin, like a layer of fluid is in there and it really hurts where I touch it to rub my soreness. Hope that made sense to you.

I think that you have been very lucky in the prior times you got the steroids, as the effects you get now seem like the ones I have always gotten.

Best of luck to you. I have never heard of drinking it but shouldn't be much different that the pill form. You will probably get reactions regardless. I do whether pill or IV.
    Debbie

Comment

My first round of IV steroids was in 2003 for ON in right eye. No MS at that time. Sight returned to normal, etc.

In 2005 it hit me in the left eye. Thinking I would have the same results I chose oral steroids as I had just started a new job and wanted to keep working. BIG mistake! Not only did I receive an MS diagnosis but the sight never returned and other symptoms popped up.

I'm still not sure that if I had gone the IV route I may have sight in the eye but the optic nerve is so damaged from the inflamation that the pupil is unresponsive and doesn't even recognize light.

I've had the IV steroids a few times since (always 1000 mg with an oral taper off) and can definitely say that the pill form causes MAJOR GUT ROT!! The pills also caused mood changes more than the IV and as well, made me shake uncontrollably.
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Thanks for the replies! After reading them, I think I'm going to stick with the IV route. (gut rot from the high dose oral steroids does not sound pleasant at all).

I guess these steroid side effects are just going to be kicking my butt from now on... Thank you again for the replies. And Cat Mom, I'm sorry to hear about your vision. Is there any hope of your vision improving in that eye?

Comment

Working...
        X