To those who have taken a break from Rebif

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To those who have taken a break from Rebif

My neuro gave me the go-ahead to take a 6-week or so break from Rebif, having never had a break since 2004. I am at the 6-week point. Question 1: Should I even go back on it? It has caused depression and scar tissue and there's no concrete proof it works. I am RR and don't have frequent exacerbations. Question 2: What should I expect? Will it be as if I have never taken it before and have hair loss, worse flu symptoms, etc.?

Please let me know what you think so I can order the drug soon (or not). Thank you so much.

Taking a break from Rebif

I took a one year break from Rebif when I was being treated for a medical problem unrelated to MS. I have not had a flare-up since I was diagnosed with RRMS and started taking Rebif 6 years ago.

When I restarted the Rebif we started from the beginning as if I had never taken the drug before. After all, at that point you have no Rebif in your system at all. It is gone after about 30 days. I used the Titration Pack - 2 weeks on 8mcg and 2 weeks on 22mcg before beginning the full dose 44mcg. This go round I find it helpful to pre-medicate. I take 2 Aleve about 45 minutes before the injection. All I have in the way of side effects is "the chills" on occasion and sometimes a bruise/red spot at the injection. Nothing else to speak of - no hair loss, no muscle aches, no depression/anxiety, etc.

You have questioned whether or not you should even go back on the Rebif. You have to decide if the side effects (i.e. depression, injection site problems) outweigh the probable good that it does. I know that it is hard to take a drug when you cannot see its immediate benefit -since it doesn't treat symptoms. When I was on my Rebif sabbatical I always felt like I was playing with dynamite and that the whole situation could blow up at any time.

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted.

Comment

Thank you, jessiesmom,
      I did speak with a nurse today who persuaded me to go back as well! I've had this ridiculous disease since '83 (dx in '88) and had no drug to take then. I started Avonex in 2000 and Rebif in 2004, so I know what to expect, but don't know if I want to! My weeks off have been wonderful. . . will let you know how it goes!

Comment

I'm pretty new to the MS scene and have only been on Rebif since August. I've had no problems with it so far, and my blood work results have been good as well.

From what I've read on the Message Boards, some people just seem to have an adverse response to Rebif, and do better on Copaxone. Especially if you have issues with depression--the other might be better for you.

Have you considered Copaxone? Is there any reason you can't try that, or that your doctor doesn't have a recommendation for you? Just curious why you need to return to Rebif when you're so miserable on it?

Comment

Hi PurpleMN,
          I actually have done well on Rebif (considering no severe exacerbations) and because of that have never considered another med. The doctors all agree that it works well for me. Yet, now I am finally admitting that it may be causing "depression" which includes more anger and anxiety. I will be starting back on R next week. You have a good point, but I think I'd rather stay with what my body is used to and adding an anti-depressant than starting a new MS med. My problem is that I hate medicine and have resisted taking an anti-depressant!

Comment

Working...
          X