? on muscle relaxer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? on muscle relaxer

zanaflex and baclofin dont work for me what else should i try any idea thaaaaaaank you

muscle relaxer

DebRA,
    I have no idea - I need that info as well. Just bumping you up.

Comment

You might try Skelaxin or Valium. I currently use baclofen, but still have muscle spasms in my ribs and legs at night, so I take Valium when I go to bed. It also helps me sleep.

I hope you find something that helps soon.
      Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
      Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
      Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Baclofen was helping a little with leg cramps or so I thought until I was without it for a few days and found my balance improved and no increase in cramps, when I saw my nuero I told him about it and he gave me Tizanidine 2mg twice a day, so far so good have only had one night with leg cramps which is better than before and I had overdone it that day anyway and balance is still better, it will be a month on the 6th when I changed over.
        Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Hi thanks for replying here is what i try and nothing seem to work
          Baclofen
          Zanaflex
          Skelaxin
          Soma
          ty /codiene
          I don't know what else to try
          thank to all

Comment

What dose of baclofen were you on?
            Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
            Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
            Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I think twenty mg i have to go look , but pretty sure its twenty

Comment

Hi DebRA:
                How many times per day were you taking baclofen? The general maximum daily dose is 80 mg, 20 mg 4 times per day. What a shame baclofen didn't help -- it's the go-to med for MS spasticity.

Flexeril and Dantrium are muscle relaxers you could ask your doctor about. They both can have unpleasant side effects, but they may be worth trying if nothing else has helped.

Comment

Redwings, does baclofen have to be built up in your body before you feel it works, or does it start after you take the first pill
                  thanks again

Comment

Hi DebRA:
                    I haven't taken baclofen and I haven't studied it in depth, but here's what I know about it.

It's recommended that baclofen be ramped up and tapered down (severe withdrawal symptoms can occur if discontinued abruptly). The pharmacology literature says that baclofen works best when taken regularly. All of that implies that it's a medication that works best when it's built up to -- and then maintained at -- a steady level. In addition, WebMD says, "Use this medication regularly in order to get the most benefit from it. ... It may take 1-2 months or longer to get the full benefit from this medication." That also implies that baclofen works best when built up over time. (All of this applies only to the oral form of baclofen.)

It's unfortunate that you haven't been able to get this information from your doctor. You know, pharmacists are excellent -- an underused -- sources for medication information. Have you thought about talking to the pharmacist where you get your prescriptions filled? Even if you use a mail order pharmacy, there's probably a pharmacist available (the one who does the patient consults when someone gets a new Rx) you can talk with on the phone. If there's a pharmacy associated with the medical center where your prescribing doctor is (even if you don't get your Rxs filled there), you could probably talk with the pharmacist there about baclofen and the other muscle relaxers.

Comment

I am currently having good luck with the generic version of flexeril 30 mg ER and baclofen. The flexeril ER is taken once in 24 hours and I take the baclofen 2-3 times a day.
                      As the flexeril is expensive, even for the generic, next month I will be trying the regular and just taking it consistently 3x a day.
                      I have been able to sleep all night most nights with this regiment.

Comment

Debra, Baclofen has helped me and so many people here that I hope you can find a way to make it work. It's an unusual drug, because it works fast and ebbs fast too. Doctors don't explain any of this! It does have to build up in your system, and then you have to find the right dose, somewhere between two little and too much. Figuring out the # of hours in between seems just as important as how much to take, at least it was for me. I'm still tinkering.

My spasticity gets worse as the day wears on, but I'm still trying to stay within a range I imagine as reasonable in case I ever need more. Now instead of 10 mg. every 6 hours I take 10 mg.every four hours, and if spasms are bad at night I can "indulge" with an extra 5 mg. on the bedtime dose. Like Shashi, I also take a low-dose benzo (.5 xanax) at night to help me sleep. From what I've read, Baclofen doesn't have scary long-term side effects. Some people get dizzy or sleepy. I've been lucky to tolerate it well and hope you will be too. If I hadn't read and read and read some more I might not have gotten the benefit I'm getting now. I also just read (on another site) that some people take half a dose every 2 hours, to keep the drug flowing in their system because it loses efficacy so quickly. Could be another way to try it. Keep us posted. Hope this helps.

Comment

thanks to all i am going to try it see what happen will keep you posted

Comment

My MD suggested i ADD an ativan to my muscle relaxer and ta da! it started working like it was supposed to! I was amazed at the combo, but it was like a dream come true for the MS hug.

There are a ton of other meds, or other treatments you can try. From a TENS (trans electrical nerve stim unit) can really be helpful as it confuses the signal that is going to the spastic area. I LOVE mine! Massage, warm baths, meditation, muscle rubs like ben gay or tiger balm, using hot towels ( take a wet towel, spin it in the microwave for a few minutes. it will be HOT! be careful!!! but you wrap that hot towel inside a dry towel that is room temp and lay it across the trouble area. the heat sinks deeply into the muscle tissues.

Sometimes a combo treatment helps because you attack not only the nerve issue, but the muscle and anxiety issues that go with it. Hang in there.
                            RRMS 3/26/07
                            Beta 5/17/07
                            Copaxone 8/07/07

Comment

Working...
                            X