High dose aspirin therapy for fatigue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High dose aspirin therapy for fatigue?

Just wondering if any of you are doing this, or have tried it. My Neuro wants me to try this for fatigue. It's 650mg of aspirin 2x per day. Here is a link:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/medicalpro...igue-2011.html

That's a lot of aspirin and aspirin is not a benign drug.

I'd consider trying this first...

600mg Malic Acid once in the morning, once again in the early afternoon, along with a Magnesium supplement and vitamin D.

The combination of Malic Acid and Magnesium has already been shown effective at reducing pain and fatigue in Fibromyalgia patients. Adding vitamin D helps turn the Malic Acid into Fumaric Acid, which helps produce endorphins, which reduce pain and fatigue.

There is a new Biogen drug in the pipeline, BG-12, based on this mechanism.

I am now taking Malic Acid and Magnesium like this and found that if I take the Malic Acid too late in the day, I have trouble falling asleep. No fatigue, no naps, no pain. Lot's of energy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrolbiecki View Post
      Just wondering if any of you are doing this, or have tried it. My Neuro wants me to try this for fatigue. It's 650mg of aspirin 2x per day. Here is a link:
      http://www.mayoclinic.org/medicalpro...igue-2011.html
      I wouldn't consider doing it until the trial is completed, if then. Aspirin is a dangerous drug.

There are other, far more benign anti-inflammatory agents to take. Following an anti-inflammatory diet can also be effective and is very safe.

Anyone considering self-treating with high (moderate) dose aspirin therapy should be especially careful about not combining it with any medications or supplements that thin the blood.

Comment

I think the trial is done and showed some improvement in MS fatigue. He really wants me try this before trying Provigil or anything else. I started it last night. It sounds like a lot of aspirin, but it's just 2 regular strength aspirin, twice per day. I honestly don't have any faith in it doing anything for me, but I will give it a try....

Comment

Originally posted by mrolbiecki View Post
          I think the trial is done and showed some improvement in MS fatigue. He really wants me try this before trying Provigil or anything else. I started it last night. It sounds like a lot of aspirin, but it's just 2 regular strength aspirin, twice per day. I honestly don't have any faith in it doing anything for me, but I will give it a try....
          No, they just did a small pilot study (30 patients); now they're enrolling volunteers for an open clinical trial. In the pilot study, the decrease in fatigue was self-reported by the participants; in the clinical trial there will be cognitive tests of memory and concentration, blood tests to measure inflammation markers, and tests of muscle fatigue conducted in a biomechanics laboratory.

Aspirin is associated with serious bleeding incidents, as well as increased risk of heart attack and stroke. The latter can occur even at regular doses, and even when it's taken one or a few times instead of on a daily basis.

BTW, "high dose aspirin therapy" is actually a misnomer for this thread in the sense that what you're doing is taking the lower dose which will be given to 1/3 of the clinical trial participants. Another 1/3 will be taking 1300 mg/day, and the remaining 1/3 will be given a placebo.

Still, I personally wouldn't want to do it even at 2 regular strength aspirin 2x/day.

Comment

I read that is aspirin were developed today it would be a prescription drug and would have a hard time getting through the FDA. I agree it shouldn't be messed with. Years ago I mistakingly 2 meds that both had aspirin in them at the same time. The ringing in my ears was horrendous!
            M.
            A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
              No, they just did a small pilot study (30 patients); now they're enrolling volunteers for an open clinical trial. In the pilot study, the decrease in fatigue was self-reported by the participants; in the clinical trial there will be cognitive tests of memory and concentration, blood tests to measure inflammation markers, and tests of muscle fatigue conducted in a biomechanics laboratory.

Aspirin is associated with serious bleeding incidents, as well as increased risk of heart attack and stroke. The latter can occur even at regular doses, and even when it's taken one or a few times instead of on a daily basis.

BTW, "high dose aspirin therapy" is actually a misnomer for this thread in the sense that what you're doing is taking the lower dose which will be given to 1/3 of the clinical trial participants. Another 1/3 will be taking 1300 mg/day, and the remaining 1/3 will be given a placebo.

Still, I personally wouldn't want to do it even at 2 regular strength aspirin 2x/day.
              I am doing 1300mg...650mg 2x/day

Comment

If this study hadn't come out of Mayo, I would have downplayed it because of the known risks of aspirin. The risk might be worthwhile if there are no lower-risk alternatives available to someone. But, as with a lot of other meds, a person would have to have tried several other alternatives before knowing if that's the case. As a means of comparison, there are many people with rheumatoid arthritis who treat with aspirin even though there are other higher-tech meds available. (I have to point out here that the fatigue studies aren't comparing aspirin against other NSAIDS for inflammation treatment.) Once again, as with other meds, it all comes down to benefit vs. risk, with a cost benefit thrown in.

Comment

Thanks Redwings
                  I think that is exactly why he wants me to try this first. It's cheap and has a low risk of side effects for me. I don't have any issues with GERD or heartburn. I just really can't imagine aspirin making this fatigue any better, but I will jump through the hoops and hope for the best!

Comment

You might try acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid for fatigue. They're natural anti-oxidant supplements and a lot of people have had great success treating fatigue with them. Just do a search on this site or Google them for more information.
                    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Working...
                    X