Steroids and no sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steroids and no sleep

Hi- did my first day of IV steroids earlier today and have been super wired and now no sleep-just wondering what others do to rest during treatment-I know at some point I will crash-any suggestions are appreciated-thanks.

It is difficult to sleep and really rest in IV steroids.

When I take them, I take advantage of the extra energy.
    In that way, it's great!

Did your DR prescribe something to help you sleep?
    If not, ask for something.

This link lists some of the most common side effects in case you aren't familiar:
    http://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclero...ng-iv-steroids

Be prepared for an upset stomach.
    I have Maalox on hand, lots of it.
    A glass of milk helps me, too.

Mostly, I just try my best to not get cranky, avoid salty foods, exercise regularly and pray for the best.

Comment

Drink lots and lots of fluids

Water, green tea; no caffiene. Chicken soup! Feel better.

Comment

Thanks for the tips-I got no sleep at all last night. Today my mind is wired, but body feels like I've been run over by a truck! Thankfully no stomach complaints, but I take Nexium before I go and I think that helps. I did call and get an order for Rozerum to help sleep tonight. Other than that, just taking it slow and trying to eat well. This has been better than other times when I've had bad mood swings-seems to not be affecting me this time. Hadn't had to do the steroids in 2 years so I forgot about the sleeplessness. Thanks for your advice. Dawn

Comment

No sleep

I just finished a five day treatment on the 29th. The hospital gave me sleeping pills and that helped. When I didn't have sleeping pills I used Benadryl. My energy level has certainly decreased since I've been off them. Hope it's not MS fatigue which I don't think I've ever experienced.
          I can hardly walk and write. My right side is affected. I've never had mobility problems so it's quite a shock. Does anyone know when I will see improvement? I suppose it's possible I won't. My neurologist on vacation until next week.

Comment

Elizabeth, It can take days or weeks until you feel better.

Just be patient. Easier said than done, I know.

Comment

complete opposite

see now i have the complete opposite. It knocks me completely out. But then again fatigue is one of my main issues so it kinda co insides together with me... it will get better... just give it some time...
              Sami Dx 2/15/07 Avonex 4/07 Copaxone 7/07 Rebif 10/07

Comment

I finished my 3 days and am now on the taper dose-as with other times, I am totally wiped out. Cannot do anything but rest-dizzy, in a fog, hard to hear or focus, and sleeping much of the time. For me it lasts about a week and then responded-that is when I can see if the steroids helped or not-they always have so in the long run it seems worth it-at the moment I try to remember this feeling is temporary. Everyone experience seems to be different.

Comment

Steroids

You were all right. I started to see improvement yesterday - 6 days after treatment ended. About the same today...possibly a little better.
                  My neuro said if improvement doesn't continue he's putting me on a double does of steroids next week. That may bother me and I'll definitely need sleeping pills.
                  Funny it makes some sleepy. I don't have fatigue though - not yet.
                  Thanks for responding. Supposed to start work next week - guess that won't be happening

Comment

I also use sleeping pills. I just ask my doctor to rx them every time he rx's steroids.

My MS flares make me very tired, but, the steroids still keep me awake if I don't have sleeping pills, so it feels like a double-whammy.

Without sleeping pills, I sleep about 20 minutes in each of the 5 day 24-hour periods that I am on 1000 mg. The sleeping pills sometimes help me to sleep normally. Other times, although they are less effective, they still help compared to having none at all.

I take 50 mg Trazedone. which I am told is somewhat of a low dose. Occasionally, I'll take a second pill if one is not effective.

~ Faith
                    ~ Faith
                    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                    X