First shot of Avonex with no nurse? help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First shot of Avonex with no nurse? help

I have a question about using the Active Source nurses. I have my medication but the Active Source nurse will not be working again until Jan 3rd. I was planning on taking my first shot Dec 26/27- while I am on vacation. I do not want to plan my shot around the nurses schedule- since I have planned everything around me taking the shot in a cuople of days.

My question is can you take the shot without the nurse and just use the information booklet they have given me which gives step by step instructions anyway? Has anyone done it without the nurse present? Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried calling Active Source but they are closed due to the holiday.
    Thanks for your help!
    ~seeuinct (Connecticut)
    Dx the first time: 10/25/11
    Avonex 1/12-10/12
    Revaluation of Dx 10/12
    Rediagnosis 7/14

Originally posted by seeuinct View Post
    I have a question about using the Active Source nurses. I have my medication but the Active Source nurse will not be working again until Jan 3rd. I was planning on taking my first shot Dec 26/27- while I am on vacation. I do not want to plan my shot around the nurses schedule- since I have planned everything around me taking the shot in a cuople of days.

My question is can you take the shot without the nurse and just use the information booklet they have given me which gives step by step instructions anyway? Has anyone done it without the nurse present? Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried calling Active Source but they are closed due to the holiday.
    Thanks for your help!
    JMO... I would not do it without the nurse. Is there a reason you can't wait for the nurse? I do understand you planned taking your shot around your schedule.. but is there anyway you can wait for the nurse??

Ms. Jay

Comment

I tried calling Active Source but they are closed due to the holiday.
      Well, so much for their claim that there's a nurse "available 24/7 to offer advice and answer your questions."

There are a couple of adages that come to mind... If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it... and When in doubt, don't.

If you have to ask if it's OK to do your own first injection, then it means you probably aren't prepared to go it alone. If something unexpected happens, you won't know what to do and there won't be anyone there to talk you through it. Even if you get on the phone with an ActiveSource nurse, trying to follow instructions over the phone given by someone who can't actually see what's happening, while you may be feeling a little panicky, seems dramatic and unnecessary.

It certainly isn't the way you want to remember your first injection. And it isn't the way to get started with a new med that might be a bit challenging under the best of circumstances. Is it worth going through all of that just to stick to a schedule that seemed like a good idea at the time?

Comment

Thanks for the help Redwings and Ms. Jay. I had plans and I guess now I am just going to have to change them.
        The best laid plans....huh?
        ~seeuinct (Connecticut)
        Avonex 1/12-10/12
        Revaluation of Dx 10/12
        Rediagnosis 7/14

Comment

I'd strongly advise waiting for the nurse too. Unless you've had experience giving shots, you'll need a bit of training.

It's only a wait of a few days, and since Avonex shots are given only once a week, this doesn't seem like a bad adjustment to have to make.

I've been on Avonex and later Copaxone, and the nurses aren't always as available as you might like. You really have to work around their schedule to some extent.
          MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10. Glatiramer acetate 40 mg (= Copaxone) 2021- 3/16/24

Comment

A week or two won't make any difference.

Comment

HI SEE

I AM ON AVONEX TOO. YES I AGREE TO WAIT FOR THE NURSE. I WAS GOING TO TRY IT MYSELF TOO BECAUSE IT TOOK AWHILE FOR A NURSE TO GET HERE. I AM GLAD I WAITED. THEY WILL HAVE TIPS FOR YOU. THEY WILL WATCH YOU WHILE YOU DO YOUR FRIST SHOT TOO. YOU ALSO GET TO PRACTICE ON AN ORNAGE. GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE GOING ON A DMD. GOOD LUCK.

Comment

THX WILD

Guess where I went over the Xmas holiday?!?!
                Pepe's!!! It was so good.
                Thanks for the info. I got a call from Active SOurce and they are hooking me up with a new nurse who is available before I go back to school.
                Hope you are doing well Wild!
                ~seeuinct (Connecticut)
                Avonex 1/12-10/12
                Revaluation of Dx 10/12
                Rediagnosis 7/14

Comment

I have a question about using the Active Source nurses. I have my medication but the Active Source nurse will not be working again until Jan 3rd. I was planning on taking my first shot Dec 26/27- while I am on vacation. I do not want to plan my shot around the nurses schedule- since I have planned everything around me taking the shot in a couple of days.

Thanks for your help!
                  Please wait for the nurse before you inject yourself for the first time. I guess the holidays are a busy time. I was very scared and needed the nurse to show me. She stayed with me and my mother a long time and explained everything so I would have an understanding how this drug is administered. I have never given myself an injection and I am afraid of needles but she watches you as you give yourself the injection. I hope Active Source gets back to you but again, it's probably because of the holidays. A couple of more days won't matter.

Comment

Working...
                  X