Zoloft and Wellbutrin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zoloft and Wellbutrin

I had my annual physical with my PCP today, and I mentioned to her that I was having problems with what I suspect is depression (either that or exhaustion from working two 14-hour, back-to-back days each week!) I just want to sleep all the time, I don't want to go out or do anything, and I'm always tired. When I do take a nap, it lasts three hours, and when I wake up, my first thought is, "Why bother getting out of bed? What difference does it make?" I don't really feel sad or cry or anything. I just feel blah and kind of in a rut that I don't really want out of.

I've been taking Wellbuterin off and on for several years. It's seemed to work really well, unless what I'm dealing with now really is depression, in which case, it's not working at all.

My PCP said she would prescribe Zoloft for me in addition to the Wellbuterin. Can these two be taken together? Has anyone ever taken them together? Are there any side effects to Zoloft that I should be aware of. (I haven't noticed any side effects with Wellbuterin.)

Thanks,

Lisa
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Hey Shashi!

I don't have any personal experience with combining Zoloft & Wellbuterin. From what I see online, it seems to be a pretty common combination for more intense therapy for depression.

Hopefully, your doc would be starting you at a small dose. People seem to have pretty good responses to it from the commentary online.

I take Zoloft now, and it seems to be working without any side effects, except for maybe making me a little tired. But, I already have fatigue so I have no clue if it has anything to do with the Zoloft.

But, like you said, it could be exhaustion (or maybe even seasonal depression). I know I am less excited to do much when it's chilly outside.
    dxd RRMS 7/2011 - Rebif 8/2011 - Tecfidera 7/2013

Comment

Hi Shashi - Antidepressants are something I know a bit about about based on experience and research. I was first put on antidepressants back in 1994. Between 1994 and 2002 I was on and off quite a few different ones and then in 2002 I was Dx Bipolar. Over the last 9 years the Dx has been fine tuned and I have tried all sorts of combinations of meds. I think the most important things I have learned are that for me simpler and less are better.

Welbutrin did little or nothing for me, actually it may have contributed to mania before I knew I was Bipolar.

I think Zoloft was the best antidepressant I have ever taken. The trouble was that at the therapeutic dose that worked for me I had sexual side effects, I was dead as a door nail, married and not satisfiable so it was not acceptable. I would try Zoloft again given I am no longer married and sex is not a priority these days.

If I were you (and you did ask) I would try Zoloft on it's own first since Welbutrin doesn't seem to be healping much. I have learned the hard way that every time you add in a new med the chance of drug interaction does more than double so if you can wean off Welbutrin while you start Zoloft it sounds like a good plan. Then take it from there.

I am also not a big fan of the antidepressants that combine serotonin uptake inhibitors and epinephrine (like Cymbalta) because if you react to them you are not sure which part is the problem. For me Cymbalta didn't do much for my depression and increased my anxiety.

The bottom line is we all react differently to meds and I assume you may be on other meds so that has to be taken into account as well.

Good luck!
      M.
      A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
      Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
      X