Zanaflex?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zanaflex?????

I am currently taking 12 mg. of zanaflex daily. Somedays I have no problem with it and other times it totally knocks me out and I either sleep or fight it really hard. Is this normal, the inconsistency? Could it mean the days I get so tired I dont really need it?

I don't know ... it's been pretty consistent for me. If I take a dose (4 mg) it knocks me out, every time. When I wake up, who knows if it helped or not? I was unconscious! I have never taken a dose and *not* been knocked out, so my experience has not been like yours ....
    Proud Mom of three kids!
    dx'd 1996

Comment

How are you taking the 12 mgs? In 4 mg doses? Twelve seems a lot to take and try to stay awake. I always had the neuro write me a script for 2 mg capsules and then I'd adjust the dose according to how alert I had to be. Zanaflex is a short acting drug...it's effectiveness is only 4-6 hours, so taking it multiple times a day isn't a problem.

If I had to be really alert, I'd just take 2 mg, to take the edge off the spasticity. Times that I could afford to be a little sleepy, I'd take 4 mgs.

It's a drug that you can tweek to fit your spasticity and your lifestyle. You don't have to take the same dose everyday for it to be effective.

Comment

I'm taking

just 2 mg 2 to 3 times daily. I take 20mg baclofen in the morning so I can function. And then zanaflex at lunch and bedtime.
        Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

sooo sleepy

Hey Debster,

I gotta tell ya that that seems like a lot to me but I'm doing the same as other posters. 2mg tbs and I adjust them as needed but even 2mgs. can knock me out cold. I'm wondering if it has to do with weather or not u take it with food. There r times when i have been able to function but felt a little sleepy and then other times I cant even see straight so I dont really know. Im guessing it has something to do with metabolism.

Comment

For the first week I was taking 4mg before bed following the titration schedule, and it was knocking me out, which was a relief. I couldn't sleep well due to the spasms.
            After a week, I grew a tolerance to it, and I can take 2 at one time and I don't feel drowsy at all and the spasms are back again.
            I have actually quit taking it since it is doing nothing now. I will give it some time and go back to it and see if it has the same kick it did before.
            Please visit profile for my blog address.

Comment

Working...
            X