What's best for depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's best for depression

I am going to talk to either my neurologist (tomorrow) or primary care about a medication for depression. I do not want to add to my 13 medications but I think my quality of life would improve and I do need something.

I have 'MS depression' and other 'regular depression'. I am asking for advise on your experience on meds for 'MS depression'. There are alot of new ones out there since I have researched.

I was taking wellbutrin and might ask for that again. It seemed to be ok but in an effort to cut down on meds stopped them a few years ago. Thank you for your suggestions. I know they could be some new things out there specifically for MSer's.

Hello KiKi1858,

There is not an anti-depressant that would be specific to MS. Depression is treated with the same type of medications regardless of why someone is dealing with depression.

Finding the right anti-depressant or combination of anti-depressants, that works for you, can be trial and error. What may work for someone else might not be the right fit for you. Everyone reacts to medications differently. There is also drug interactions, to your other medications, that needs to be considered.

Although a PCP or Neurologist can and will prescribe anti-depressants a Psychiatrist is the best Physician to see for the treatment of depression. The medications used for depression is their specialty.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Depression

You might try turning on some more lights this time of year. You may also want to get out and take a walk if you can.
      Exercise I think is supposed to raise your endorphins too.
      techie
      Another pirated saying:
      Half of life is if.
      When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
      Dogs Rule!

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
        Hello KiKi1858,

There is not an anti-depressant that would be specific to MS. Depression is treated with the same type of medications regardless of why someone is dealing with depression.

Finding the right anti-depressant or combination of anti-depressants, that works for you, can be trial and error. What may work for someone else might not be the right fit for you. Everyone reacts to medications differently. There is also drug interactions, to your other medications, that needs to be considered.

Although a PCP or Neurologist can and will prescribe anti-depressants a Psychiatrist is the best Physician to see for the treatment of depression. The medications used for depression is their specialty.
        Well put. I'm a fan of seeing a psychiatrist or psych nurse practitioner you have a good relationship with for these prescriptions.

There are so many different antidepressants that might help depending on your individual needs so if you don't get lucky the first time please keep communication open with your provider and consider trying another if they suggest it.

Wishing you the best, I have seen wonderful results with these medications.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

celexa

I take a low dose of celexa (prescribed by my neuro) & find it to be very helpful

I hope you find something that works for you!

Comment

KiKi1858 - I take a very low dose of Zoloft. No side effects or anything. I take it later in the day because I think it does make me a little sleepy. It seems to be doing its job...at least I am not "depressed" like I was feeling after my dx. I do still have my bad days where I feel sad and cry, but I think thats fair to feel when dealing with a dx like MS.

Personally though, I think everyone deals with depression in their own unique and personal way. Such as; perscription meds, excercise, seeing a therapist, etc.

I consider myself a "combiner" (most of the folks here seem to be). I combine my meds with other things that I think will help with my MS or depression/fatigue, and may help give me a better chance (or at least make me feel like I am). For example, I combine my Rebif, with tons of supplements, and a gluten free diet that is low in saturated fats (though I sucked at the low fat this week).

I combine my depression meds with exercise. If you are able to make it out, just going for a walk or being outside does wonders for my moods...even when it is really cold.

Some people even get a Vitamin D light to turn on during the winter to add to what Techie was saying.

Finishing up my days with something that makes me gut laugh most days also helps me. I look forward to Wednesday and Thursday because Modern Family and The Office are on and I know I will be smiling before I fall asleep.

I am sure there are other "natural" remedies for depression, but I wouldn't dare to guess which ones are or are not ok to take for someone with MS and the current drugs they take.

See what your doc says and hopefully they have some other opinions that just adding on more pills
            dxd RRMS 7/2011 - Rebif 8/2011 - Tecfidera 7/2013

Comment

Originally posted by Keepin_on View Post
              See what your doc says and hopefully they have some other opinions that just adding on more pills
              Meant to say "See what your doc says and hopefully they have some other opinions than just adding on more pills"
              dxd RRMS 7/2011 - Rebif 8/2011 - Tecfidera 7/2013

Comment

lexapro

lexapro is one of the drugs least likely to cause weight gain. it is used to treat depression and anxiety.

Comment

Someone will tell me I'm being insensitive or something again, but I have to say that I quite taking ADs. Am I more depressed? a little, but ADs made me not feel anything, and what good is that? Now I'm in therapy, and exploring other means of coping, and I think I'm on the right track.
                  I don't take any meds at all, not even for MS. I'm just sick of being sick and docs having nothing to give but the same old BS.

Comment

Originally posted by Nebbykoo View Post
                    Someone will tell me I'm being insensitive or something again, but I have to say that I quite taking ADs. Am I more depressed? a little, but ADs made me not feel anything, and what good is that? Now I'm in therapy, and exploring other means of coping, and I think I'm on the right track.
                    I don't take any meds at all, not even for MS. I'm just sick of being sick and docs having nothing to give but the same old BS.
                    If that is working for you than I think it is great. From what I have read most people do best with a combination of medication and therapy but again it is individualized.

You can always try meds again if you feel the need.
                    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                    Anonymous

Comment

Depression can be an organic problem and it is not possible for people that have depression to just "cope."

I believe that the right combination of drugs and therapy can work. I am not a proponant of most doctors or medicine in general I don't believe that you can control MS or cancer or any disease with your mind and my intent is to feel as good as I can for as long as I can.

I have taken several AD's and now have one that works great.

I am grateful to the doc that rx'd it to me. He is alot smarter than I am.

j
                      Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Originally posted by justacowgirl View Post
                        Depression can be an organic problem and it is not possible for people that have depression to just "cope."
                        Can you describe 'inorganic depression'? What would that consist of?

Comment

Nebby - Cowgirl said "an organic" depression not "inorganic". Organic depression being something that is biological or chemical coming from within vs a depression that is being caused by outside influences. I think in many cases it is a combination of the two.

Deciding whether to take or not to take meds is a private matter and I try not to judge other people decisions if I agree with them or not. All I can do is try to pass on some of my experience and strength and hope it helps someone else.

I have worked with mostly Pyschiatrists over the years and I know that on more than one occassion antidepressants have probably saved my life,
                          M.
                          A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

I know she wrote 'organic'. I want to know what she meant by that, because depression is always 'organic', whatever one may think caused it. So I want to know what would constitute a depression that is not organic.

Comment

Organic depression comes from within i.e. a chemical imbalance.

Non-organic depression comes from the outside, it is situational i.e. job loss, school, death of a loved one.

I believe it is often a combination of the two.
                              M.
                              A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X