Starting Betaseron soon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Betaseron soon...

I have taken Rebif and Copaxone...now going to be starting Beta. Any tips anyone has or hows they feel on it. I am waiting on a call from the nurse to get started. I am a busy 23 year old! Is beta going to be simialar to the others? Not looking forward to "flu symptoms" again.

Rachel

Initially you may have some flu-like symptoms, but in time, they do go away. I know they are no fun to deal with.

I've been on Betaseron for almost 5 years now. I haven't had flu-like symptoms for most of that time. I do get red spots/bruises at the injection sites, but they go away.

Good luck with it!
    Sue
    Previous Meds: Avonex, Copaxone
    Beta Babe: January 2007

Comment

all preventable, usually

As far as the flu symptoms, I have been able to prevent them with premedicating with tylenol or ibuprofen.

I now (after 10 months on it) only take one tylenol, where before I took 2. I did try to go without one night, and don't think I will do that again for awhile. Chills and shaking so bad I thought I was having a seizure. With meds, nothing.

I also got bruising and redness, mostly in thighs, so stopped injecting there, and have stopped getting welts or reactions anywhere. I wonder it the thigh welt made my immune system hyper react, or something.

good luck. I know I am feeling better since I have been on it for the 7 months.
      You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

You may get the "flu", you may not.
        Since you've done injectables (interferons) before, a lot of this will be "old hat". Just be aware that you want to aim for fat- not muscle. Prep might be easier than your old meds, I can't really say since I've only used Beta.
        The needle is probably thinner than you're used to.
        BetaPlus is a really good resource, feel free to use them. Be sure you keep your shots documented. The only long-term "downside" I've experienced with Beta is the every-other-day dosing. If you deal with fog at all, it can become confusing which day is shot day.
        Beta is also Rx'd based on a 28 day month. This isn't a big deal, just be aware when you'll need to re-order. I can usually wait to re-order until I have 4 kits left, my delivery is pretty good.

Comment

generic Betaseron?

Is there a generic Betaseron availbable in the United States or anywhere yet?

Comment

The best advice I can give you is: do what the Beta nurse tells you do, take her advice on the shots.
            DX 10/2008
            Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
            Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
            Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Originally posted by metwo View Post
              Is there a generic Betaseron availbable in the United States or anywhere yet?
              Kinda?
              Search for threads about Extavia (from Norvartis).
              Keep in mind we're talking about cloned material. I asked the docs at the VA about it, but nothing happened. The VA is one of the largest buyers of prescription meds in the US, so they might have had a contract or two in place on some meds.
              Its supposed to be very similar to Beta (same limb of the family tree) but cheaper.

Comment

HAVE ONLY BEEN ON BETA 7 MONTHS. I HAD NO FLU SYMTMONS. AIM FOR FAT IS GOOD ADVICE. I HAD SHAKY HANDS UNTIL I GOT ON GABAPENTIN. NOW SHOTS ARE PAIN FREE AND I DON'T BEND NEEDLES. HAVE SOMEONE ELSE GIVE YOU THE SHOTS ON BACK OF YOUR BODY UNLESS YOU HAVE MORE GRACE THAN ME.(EVERYONE DOES). REDNESS MY ONLY SIDE EFFECT.

Comment

Hi RachyRae!

If you need someone to talk to about it or to just share experiences: Beta, MS, or whatever, feel free to email me! My addy is in my profile!
                  Rae Roy

Comment

Working...
                  X