Rebif cause ulcers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebif cause ulcers?

I was wondering if anyone has taken rebif and had any issues with ulcers of any kind. I have been on rebif for two months now and have had mouth, nose, and esophageal ulcers since then. I will say I have had stomach ulcers in the past, but never in my esophagus or so many at once and I know rebif can cause ulcers in the mouth. Any help please? I go to my neurologist in a few weeks just curious until then.
    "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power
    is made perfect in weakness." -2 Cor. 12:9

dx 11.23.10 RRMS

Have you called your Dr to ask the question? I am brand new to rebif... so I have no clue.. but very interested to see what the answer would be..

Comment

Rebif and Ulcers

I have been taking Rebif for about 6 years with no major issues. I have never heard or read that Rebif will cause mouth sores and have never personally had that problem. I have read both the Medication Guide and the Prescribing Information and nowhere does it mention that ulcers are a side effect of Rebif. There may be plenty of others such as influenza-like symptoms, abdominal pain, depression, elevation of liver enzymes, injection site reactions, and blood abnormalities.

How do you know that you have esophageal ulcers? Have you had an endoscopic examination? Has a doctor given you that diagnosis or is this a self-diagnosis?

It certainly sounds like an unpleasant problem. I think it rates a visit to an ENT (ear, nose and throat) physician sooner rather than later. I personally would not wait around for the neurologist visit if I was in a lot of discomfort.

You might also want to give MS LifeLines a call and ask to speak to a nurse. They might have some useful information for you. You can even contact the FDA and file an Adverse Event Report if you truly believe this is Rebif related

I hope things get better for you. Keep us posted.

Comment

I also would suggest a call to your Doctor and/or MSLifelines with these kinds of concerns.

I've been on Rebif since August, with very little side effects. I mostly get really sleepy, so I take it at night.

I also don't remember reading anything in the lengthy descriptions of possible side effects about ulcers. Hope that isn't what is happening to you!

Comment

I was diagnosed bu my gastro with esophageal ulcers. I was told ulcers are a "rare" side effect that can happen while on Rebif. I haven't talked to my neuro yet, I have an appointment the 29th. I'm calling Lifelines tomorrow to ask.

dx 11.23.10 RRMS

Comment

Jessiesmom-I had an upper endoscopy performed to diagnose my ulcers.

dx 11.23.10 RRMS

Comment

Instead of asking on the forum please consult your doctor. May be body standards aren’t approving its intake.

Comment

rebif ulcers

yes, i had ulcers up through my mouth, from rebif. I had an endoscope done and the dr said he had never seen anything like it. It tasted like blood in the back of my throat the mornings after taking rebif. It was the only drug I was on. I was on it for two and a half years. When it got so bad that I had a huge stomach ulcer, heartburn, bloody taste, I quit the rebif. That was in Oct last year. I feel great and am just doing yoga, not drinking, gluten free dairy free to control the ms. No new attacks, and much healthier off of the rebif.

Comment

Working...
                X