First rebif shot - now I feel like crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First rebif shot - now I feel like crap

So I FINALLY got my rebif order in... and had the nurse over yesterday afternoon, so I did my first injection yesterday afternoon. Within the hour I started coughing, had a sore throat, fever, stuffy nose and a headache. So I called my doc who told me that I probably was fighting a cold already but didn't know it, and the rebif just whacked out my immune system bringing forth the symptoms.. so I am now under orders to not taking another Rebif shot until this clears up. 1 week she said.

Seriously? Is this normal? Am I really going to have to deal with every cold bug that floats my way while on Rebif? Ugg.. I work in a building with preschoolers, and I have two small kids in school... is this a good idea or not?

It was only the 8.8 mg amount, what in the world would have been the reaction had I done the full amount! LOL

Anyone else out there on Rebif that had a similar reaction? Any thoughts, suggestions, reassurance that I am doing the right thing?

FYI I was already on Copaxone before.. so not an option to switch back, it wasn't 'doin it' for me I guess.. haha.

There are a ton of URIs going around right now.

I'm not sure how quickly the rebif side effects usually show but have heard that it isn't unusual for them to lessen over time.

I'd definitely pre-medicate with IBU if you are able to take it and maybe give the next shot on a day when you can lay low, if needed.

Good luck!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

HATED REBIF

I hated Rebif because from the start I felt like I had the flu-that is absolutely no fun when it is 1/2 of your life feeling like something the cat dragged in and hurled up.

I also had horrible injection site reactions.

I switched to avonex and went to the powdered form. I have no site reactions and very few flu-like symptoms, just some general achiness and headache.

Now, to be fair I gave it several months on Rebif, and since you have just had your first shot you probably should give it some time to determine if it gets better for you. But if you are going to commit to taking a drug that HOPEFULLY slows down the disease you shouldn't feel like garbage all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by sengelhardt View Post
        It was only the 8.8 mg amount, what in the world would have been the reaction had I done the full amount! LOL
        I thought the EXACT same thing, in fact I found MSWorld on day because I was at work feeling like you-know-what and I googled 'why does Rebif make me feel like crap?'

I was diagnosed and started Rebif around May of this year and have never been on anything else. I was also getting rowdy side effects from my shots, even the 8.8. I wasn't getting the same symptoms as you, I felt more like I was hungover and it would usually last until early afternoon the next day. Then the symptoms would go away & I though 'oh I just have to get use to it', this happened at each step-up in dosage, then finally w/ the 44 mg I was getting the side effects & they weren't going away.

I started taking 4 Ibuprofens about 30 mins before I took my shot and took the shot about 30 mins before I went to sleep and I've been good since. Are you taking any pills like Ibuprofen before the shot?

Comment

Welcome to the Interferon Beta club! I want my doctor and my wife to try it so they know. Especailly the doctor!

What your doctor said may be right and you must know that you will get used to it.

Comment

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. The only side effect from Rebif is a fever the next day but that can be controlled with Aleve. I have found out is if I pull the needle out to fast it feels like I was stung by a bee. Hopefully it will get better for you and the effects will go away. Good luck to you

Comment

In any case, one has to suffer in the beginning and get used to it. It's been almost 2 years with Avonex now that I don't feel terrible on shot day, but most people don't take that long and rebif is said to be easier (except for site reactions, Avonex has none)

Comment

Originally posted by sengelhardt View Post
                So I FINALLY got my rebif order in... and had the nurse over yesterday afternoon, so I did my first injection yesterday afternoon. Within the hour I started coughing, had a sore throat, fever, stuffy nose and a headache. So I called my doc who told me that I probably was fighting a cold already but didn't know it, and the rebif just whacked out my immune system bringing forth the symptoms.. so I am now under orders to not taking another Rebif shot until this clears up. 1 week she said.

Seriously? Is this normal? Am I really going to have to deal with every cold bug that floats my way while on Rebif? Ugg.. I work in a building with preschoolers, and I have two small kids in school... is this a good idea or not?

Anyone else out there on Rebif that had a similar reaction? Any thoughts, suggestions, reassurance that I am doing the right thing?

FYI I was already on Copaxone before.. so not an option to switch back, it wasn't 'doin it' for me I guess.. haha.
                Seriously I think your dr. is right and you are trying to fight off a cold, it's just a matter of poor timing. My colds have actually been less severe since I started Rebif. A stuffy nose and sore throat aren't side effects I've ever had on Rebif. Rebif can have some harsh side effects (headache, body ache, chills) when you first start and it can take sometime to get used to. But for me it has been very effective and done a good job controlling the continuous flares I was getting while on Copaxone, it wasn't 'doin it' for me either.
                Dx 4/04
                Copaxone 5/04-3/05
                Rebif 4/05-present

Comment

I am still dealing with the stuffy nose and cough, so I definately think I was fighting a cold already, and the rebif just helped things along.. LOL I guess I will try again on Monday if things clear up, if they don't I may head to the doc for antibiotics.. I just finished up a 10 day round for a sinus infection a week ago.

I am trying to keep in mind 4-6 months.. get through the next 4-6 months... keeping fingers crossed I get through these next months..

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Comment

Meds an hour before

Hi this is Kim's sister speaking. Due to her MS she can't read or write without help (this is her account). I was going to say that I give Kim an Aleve an hour before I give her the injection of Rebif. If I don't, she'll get flu-like symptoms.

Also, I give her some ice to hold on the spot for the shot a few minutes ahead of time and after.

~*~

(From Kim's niece-a quote) "Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day." ~Quoted in P.S. I Love You, compiled by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
                    I can't see on the computer so my family is typing for me. ~*~ (From her niece-a quote) "Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day." ~Quoted in P.S. I Love You, compiled by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Comment

I just started Rebif in August and have had almost no reactions to it! It does tend to knock me out like a sleeping pill, so I take it just before bedtime.

A couple hints that my injection nurse suggested that have helped alot are:

**using heat for about 5 minutes before on the injection site--I just use a wash rag and keep adding hot water--then after the injection I put a warm rag for awhile too. I have had hardly any trouble with the injection sites themselves--just a circle of red rash type which goes away in a week or so.

**drink A LOT of water! She recommended 64 ounces a day--which I was already doing since I've been on a weight loss program that promotes drinking water. I really feel that this has diminished any flu like symptoms because I flush them away!

I do take an Advil after each shot, just in case.

Comment

Wow, sorry you are going thru this. I take ibuprofen and have no side affects as long as I take it. If I don't take it I feel horrible. Like a truck has run over me. Another thing is ever since I started taking MS drugs I never get sick. I haven't had a cold in 10 years. No virus no flu bug. Strange..... I am happy though.
                        Save a Life, Adopt at a Shelter near you

Comment

I just started Rebif this week. So far I have had two shots with really no symptoms. The seconed day after the shot my knees felt alittle week but nothing I couldn't handle. My friend uses avonex and is in bed the day after her shot everyweek. So I am feeling pretty lucky! Lets hope it stays this way when I up the dose in another week.

Comment

Working...
                          X