dr wants to prescribe AD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dr wants to prescribe AD

I am so confused how to be proactive in handling this situation. My Doc (both neuro and pcp) are convinced I will get depression b/c of Betaseron. They are both determined I will take an antidepressant, before I even exhibit symptoms.

I was talked into Lexapro with Trazadone for sleeping issues by my neuro. Major constipation so I quit it (slowly), and my pcp tells me he thinks neuro gave it more for depression. ARGHHHHH, so now I don't even know if I can trust the neuro.

Neuro prescribed amytryptilene, I filled it, and noticed it said major weight gain was side effect.... no way am I taking that.

So is there a way to go into the appointment with knowledge of side effects so we can have an educated discussion before I go home, read about it and decide it is not for me? Can he bring info up on his laptop that I can read before he sends his scrip in and says goodby (nudging out the door?)
    You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Ask and Tell

Ask him to print out the pharmaceutical's information about the medication and give you a day or two to consider his recommended prescription.

Tell him you will call and ask for the prescription after you have read all the information, or you will call and say no thank you.
    First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
    Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

You may still want to try the amytriptyline. I used it for awhile for sleep/bladder issues and did not gain any weight on it. I don't think that is a side effect that happens to everyone.

Good luck and don't let your doctors push you into something you are not comfortable with.

Comment

Is there more to this story?
        This is the first time I've heard about Drs. going hyper like this. Depression is listed as a possible side effect, but to my understanding its kinda rare and it sounds like someone is putting the cart in front of the horse.
        Of course, every time I committ to a reply I tend to get slammed but in my case I was told depression was a slight possibility and to call if it looked like it was happening. It wasn't an issue, I just had to deal with some "flu" stuff while I got my tolerance up.
        You might want to talk to Betaplus at 1-800-788-1467 (better yet, your Dr. might want to talk to them).

Comment

Originally posted by Bob698 View Post
          it sounds like someone is putting the cart in front of the horse.
          That was my first thought too, Bob.

I don't like the concept of treating depression when there is not an issue of depression. On the other hand, anti-depressants are used to treat some MS symptoms such as pain.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
          X