Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex and Emotional Rollercoaster?

Hello Everyone,

I have been in Limbo for the last seven years to finally get the conformation that I indeed do have MS, This came after a round of Optic Neuritis before they took me seriously and started aggressive treatment. I have recently been put on the Avonex Injections that I take once a week, they began as a titrated doese now this is my second week of the full dose. I have a question that maybe one or several of you may help me clarify. I have noticed since I have started taking these injections that I have become really emotional lately, can someone please tell me if this is one of the side effects or that this has been happening to them and if so how do you handle it or what do you do to lessen this. I am beginning to feel like I am going crazy.

Thanks for your time

Hi debz:
    The emotional rollercoaster could very well be a side effect of the Avonex. The interferons are known to affect emotions to the point of causing depression. if you read the warning in the Avonex product insert about depression you might have thought, "OK, but that doesn't apply to me." Maybe not, but the rollercoaster could be the front end of interferon-induced depression.

A lot of people taking an interferon also take an antidepressant med to counteract the depressive side effect. Other folks have to stop taking an interferon altogether and switch to a different DMD because the depressive side effect becomes unbearable.

The best thing you can do is to call your neurologist right away and let your doc know what's happening with your emotions so you can discuss how to manage it.

And maybe the next best thing you can do in the meantime is to try to separate your emotions from your emotions. By that I mean to, when you have a depressive or angry thought, remind yourself that you're NOT going crazy. Consciously remind yourself that those emotions are a side effect of the medication and that you don't have to believe every thought that goes through your head or act on an emotion just because you feel it. You can acknowledge the thought and then replace it with another one that's more constructive. It's a way to consciously stay in control when you think you're losing it -- a way to direct how you feel about how you feel. That's a technique you can try until you talk with your doctor about what to do next.

Comment

I took avonex from april 2010 to january 2011 then took myself off of it after giving my neuro warning. After a month or two of an emotional roller-coaster it evened out for me. It may just be a side effect, just keep an eye on it. It IS depressing having to rely on a medication like the injections, but after a few months when I felt my emotions going out of whack I kept reminding myself why I was doing it.

I am now going back onto the Avonex, and I'm more prepared this time to handle the mental/emotional side effects.. I would suggest just keeping an eye on it and keeping a journal every day to give you an outlet.
      Dx RR MS - April 1st, 2010. (19 yrs old)
      Words To Live By: "Fall Seven Times; Stand Up Eight."

Comment

Thank You

Thank you Redwing and a.nukem for the really good advise and I am definately going to give my neuro a call, It is nice to know there are others out there who have dealt with the same things. I hope this finds you well and take care.

Comment

Working...
        X