Avonex or Copaxone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex or Copaxone

I just got the "official" dx and have been asked to pick an injectible dmd. Avonex and Copaxone are what my insurance will cover. After reading information about both, I still don't know which one to pick. I set up a list of pro's and con's about both.

I am scared of the Flush/Heart Attack feeling you get with Copaxone. I also don't want to get dimples all over my body from the injections.

I am worried about my liver and feeling terrible with Avonex but like the 1x a week shot.

Anyone out there please give me some opinions/personal experiences about both, to help me make a more informed decision. Bless you all....
    ~seeuinct (Connecticut)
    Dx the first time: 10/25/11
    Avonex 1/12-10/12
    Revaluation of Dx 10/12
    Rediagnosis 7/14

Welcome, but sorry for the diagnosis.

Although you have to inject Copaxone daily and yes it can sting, hurt, leave red lumps, ect...the flush/heart attack feeling is very rare. Copaxone has less side affects on the body from what I understand. I've been on Copaxone on/off since being initially dx'd in 2003. The best thing about Copaxone is that you don't get the flu symptoms after injections.

When you first start you may feel a little under the weather, but bear in mind that you are just coming to grips with the dx and having injections, ect....

Hang in there and know we are here for you. This place has been a Godsend to me and I am so grateful to be here!
    DX RRMS 10/09/2003
    DX FIBROMYALGIA 08/1990
    COPAXONE 10/09/2003

Comment

I was on Avonex for nine years. I had flu like symptoms after the shot which would last 24 hours. Now I am Rebif. You'll have to decide if you want a 1X a week shot with side effects or an everyday shot with little side effects. I would go with thw Avonex. Good luck.

Comment

Avonex Girl

I just had my 97th shot on Thursday. If you do the aleve, etc. for the side effects you will be fine with Avonex. I was afraid of needles that's why I choose once a week.
        Use the smaller needles. I inject slowly, it doesn't sting or burn like copaxone. Good luck.

Comment

I have been on Copaxone 3 years and although I had the one IPIR recently, I restarted my shots. It seems to be working for me and I do not want to change my meds unless I really have to.

I spoke to different people before i started about Avonex, Rebif, Copaxone and they liked the ones they chose and were happy with them. The pro of Copaxone for me was no flu symptoms and bloodwork on liver. The con the number of shots.

I would write down pros and cons of the meds and go from there

Comment

My Copaxone experience began almost 8 years ago. It has allowed me to live my life as I chose without flu-like symptoms and never having an IPIR (but, of course, everyone is different - you will hear this a lot). The Copaxone needle is smaller than it was when I first started.

One thing to think about is that Copaxone is a sub-q shot whereas Avonex is intramuscular. Yes, I have dents in my legs but for me, it's a small price to pay for being able to do what I want to do every day.

Good luck with your decision....

Comment

Working...
            X