Difference between IPIR and Anaphalatic Reaction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between IPIR and Anaphalatic Reaction

What is the difference between a IPIR and when someone said they had a IPIR that was a anaphaltic reaction? I'm confused about this and how you would be able to determine it during an actual attack?

Originally posted by GracieBH View Post
    What is the difference between a IPIR and when someone said they had a IPIR that was a anaphaltic reaction? I'm confused about this and how you would be able to determine it during an actual attack?
    The confusion comes from the IPIR and a true allergic reaction being two completely different things. Some folks use the term "allergic" when they have any kind of unpleasant effect from a drug, either through misinformation or just ease of use. The opposite is also true. Some say they had an IPIR when they had an allergic reaction.

People will "get" that you can't take a drug because you say you're allergic to it, but may not when you say it causes a particular side effect. It's just easier to say you're allergic than explain why you can't take it. Same goes for saying IPIR. Might just be the easy explanation.

I know I have said I am allergic to Compazine when technically I'm not. I have a dystonic reaction to it. Either way, I can't take it, but "allergy" is more easily understood than "dystonic reaction".

IPIR is a term used to specifically refer to the "typical" anxiety attack type reaction described in the Copaxone literature. If you've ever had a panic attack, it's very similar. It's self limiting and has no real health consequence other than being very, very unpleasant. You may only ever have one (about 90% won't ever have them) in your Copaxone taking days and having one doesn't necessarily mean you'll have another. Having one doesn't preclude you from taking Copaxone. However, people who have them often enough might stop Copaxone.

A true anaphylactic reaction is not an IPIR. It is a severe allergic reaction that if left untreated, can cause death. A person who has such a reaction is truly in danger at the time of reaction and can not take Copaxone again.
    Beginning symptoms are typically skin related: hives, rash and itching. As it progresses: difficulty breathing along with swelling of the lips, tongue and throat, drop in blood pressure and fainting. Eventually, if the reaction is severe enough, the person won't be able to breath as their airway closes. This is the type of reaction some people get to bees and peanuts.

From the Copaxone site:
    This reaction can involve flushing (feeling of warmth and/or redness), chest tightness or pain with heart palpitations, anxiety, and trouble breathing. These symptoms generally appear within minutes of an injection, last about 15 minutes, and go away by themselves without further problems.
    And about anaphylaxis:

http://www.medicinenet.com/anaphylax...e4.htm#4howcan

You'll note that both describe difficulty breathing. The difference in my experience is mainly in IPIR, it's a feeling of chest tightness, where with anaphylaxis, it's more airway constriction.

It is best should you have any type of reaction after taking Copaxone to call a doctor or go to the ER if you do have difficulty breathing. Don't try to figure it out. Get help.

Comment

Working...
    X