In Praise of Baclofen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Praise of Baclofen

I just want to thank everyone who encouraged me to try this medication (which my doctor prescribed but I was afraid of). It's made a huge difference not only in reducing pain and spasms but also in my walking.

Lesson that might help someone else: I found I had to take it 4 times a day instead of 3, but no difference for me if I took 10 mg. per dose or 15, so I capped it at 10, adding an extra 5 mg. at night, when cramps are worse.

I also found that I was still kept awake, so take .5 mg of xanax with the night dose, and together they've allowed me this week to sleep through the night (6 hours, but still!) for the first time in four months.

I don't like how I feel in that last hour between doses (cramps begin and my walking gets messy), but that seems to be a window onto the underlying spasticity and maybe serves to remind me why I'm taking this stuff to begin with.

Other than that, I think this medication is fantastic. I call it my eraser.

I've taken baclofen on and off (more on than off) for five years. It works great for me and doesn't make me sleepy like it does some people. I tried Zanaflex first and ended up sleeping through the entire summer of 2006 because of it.

I'm glad it works for you.
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I love Baclofen. About 10 years ago I was having a lot of spasticity and was taking it, and I would have the most wonderful dreams at night. Sometimes even lucid dreams, where you realize you're dreaming and you can control the things that are happening, so you can fly or whatever. I loved it.
      Proud Mom of three kids!
      dx'd 1996

Comment

Wow---give me some lucid dreams!
        (Even some lucid days...)

Comment

No baclofen for me

I had high hopes for this drug. Unfortunately the side effect for me was uncontrolled urination, especially at night regardless of taking oxybutynin with it. Very embarrassing. My doctor has me on valium now, so far it's okay.

Comment

I am glad it's working for you. It made me super tired which I stay tense up a lot. So maybe it's trying to relax me which I need. But I have to work therefore I can't be tired through out the day.

I only took 5mg. I may give it another try. I need something to loosen me up so I can start gaining weight.

Ms Jay

Originally posted by Citlalli View Post
            I just want to thank everyone who encouraged me to try this medication (which my doctor prescribed but I was afraid of). It's made a huge difference not only in reducing pain and spasms but also in my walking.

Lesson that might help someone else: I found I had to take it 4 times a day instead of 3, but no difference for me if I took 10 mg. per dose or 15, so I capped it at 10, adding an extra 5 mg. at night, when cramps are worse.

I also found that I was still kept awake, so take .5 mg of xanax with the night dose, and together they've allowed me this week to sleep through the night (6 hours, but still!) for the first time in four months.

I don't like how I feel in that last hour between doses (cramps begin and my walking gets messy), but that seems to be a window onto the underlying spasticity and maybe serves to remind me why I'm taking this stuff to begin with.

Other than that, I think this medication is fantastic. I call it my eraser.

Comment

Working...
            X