Injection burning from Betaseron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injection burning from Betaseron

Has anyone experienced burning when injecting Betaseron? My DH has been giving me the injections and I am still titrating up to my full dose. I've noticed the more the amt of medicine, the more it burns and HURTS when the needle goes in? Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what you did to help it?
    Sx's 5/1996 Dx'd 9/2011
    RRMS- Betaseron, Copaxone, Tecfidera, Aubagio
    Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all

I did have this happen when I was on the Betaseron as well. Part of the issue was making sure the needle didn't leak any beta before doing the injection.

Unfortunately, I didn't continue on it because of other side effects such as fatigue, insomnia and heart palpitations.

I'm sorry that I can't give you any other tips.

Comment

This was what I meant when I posted that it was great your Hubby was doing the shots, but that you really need to do this on your own.
      If I had to guess, you're getting the shots too close to muscle. Beta needs to be injected into fatty tissue, the more fatty tissue the better.
      You really should give BetaPlus a call and let them know what's going on. The best I can do is guess.
      There's a way to inject called "the pinch" where you slightly pinch the skin before injecting, you're basially creating a "fold" of skin and fatty tissue to inject into. Its much easier when you do this yourself, your Hubby sounds super cool but there's no way he can feel your shot.
      Try going manual and ditch the auto-injector. Try going s-l-o-w while you're at it.

Comment

Yes, you should definitely do manual if you can.

Call and have the nurse come back out again and then she can check your sites, and give you a refresher and answer any questions. They are happy to come out for a follow up.

I had my copax nurse come back when I was having bad site reactions. She didn't have too much help to give me because I had already tried most things, but she was able to give some additional training to my husband for the manual shots.

Comment

alliesmommy - I am not on Betaseron, I am on Rebif, but I dealt/deal with the burning injections. It burned a lot when I was first getting used to it, but I found that if I did it slower and manually I could control the burning. If I feel it starting to burn (especially when I first start my shot) I just stop for a second and let the burning subside, and then start again. That usually does the trick.

Like suggested by cosake, make sure that needle has no liquid on the tip before you inject Also, a hot, wet compress before the shot helps me too.
          dxd RRMS 7/2011 - Rebif 8/2011 - Tecfidera 7/2013

Comment

depends on site

I am a Beta Babe too, and I get pain and burning during my manual injections if I inject in my thighs. Is your injection pain specific to one site?

Tried all my betanurses suggestions. Hot shower before made it extremely worse, ice pack no good, very careful that alcohol is dry. Finally gave up on that site. Other sites are better. Sometimes pain in arm, but not in belly or back. One good side effect of having the fat tissue that I have.
            You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

I've had slight burning a few times too with Beta. I now mix the solution for at least 1 minute (though it seems painfully long) and let the syringe sit for 2-3 minutes before I inject. That has helped me; no more burning.

I also "pinch", as Bob suggests; it really aids in injecting into fatty tissue instead of muscle.

Comment

Working...
              X