Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oral Prednisone vs IV?

Hi-

This is my first time post since being diagnosed with MS in May. My doctor immediately got me started on a DMD-Betaseron.

But it does seem like I'm showing signs of a new symptom... So on friday, when I saw my neurologist, he wanted to start me on steroid treatment. Since Monday would have been the earliest I can start the IV treatment, we talked about the oral treatment. So he put me on Prednisone 50mg tablets- 13 tabs in am and 12 tabs in early pm (so that's 1250mg and 1000mg doses of predisolone). I'm to do this for 3 days.

I've heard of other people doing the oral steroid... But usually the post that they just did it once a day. Has there been any one else that had done it twice a day? And think it's okay that I still take my Beta?

13 tabs in am and 12 tabs in early pm (so that's 1250mg and 1000mg doses of predisolone).
    13 pills is 650mg and 12 is 600mg, so you're taking a total of 1250mg a day. Maybe splitting it up during the day makes it easier on your stomach?

Comment

Hi laura:
      StillOkay is correct. 50x25=1250. You're taking 1250 mg of prednisone per day, which is the oral prednisone equivalent of 1000 mg IV prednisolone (Solu-Medrol).

The number of times per day isn't of major importance. Dividing the dose allows you to reduce the number of tablets taken at one time, which is easier on your stomach. Some people divide the dose into three or four times per day because it's easier that way.

Outpatient IVs are done once per day because it's easier that way. Also, when you read here about people taking steroids once per day, they're generally talking about a low dose of oral prednisone, not the high dose used as an IV equivalent.

Your doctor should have recommended that you take a stomach-acid reducer while you're on the med, and for a couple of days afterward. If he didn't, you should do it anyway. Any generic acid reducer will do.

Your doctor also should have told you to continue taking your Betaseron (sounds like he didn't, though). It's a different class of drug than the prednisone, and there's no reason to stop during steroid treatment. Neither will it harm you if you skip a dose, so you can if you don't feel up to an injection. If you aren't sure about it, call your doctor for guidance.

Comment

I have done it and it is so much easier than the i.v.
        Like Redwings said just add a acid reducer like Pepcid a. c or anyone of those

Comment

I also prefer oral prednisone, rather than IV solumedrol steroids. Less expensive; don't need to go in to get them done outpatient, don't take lots of time, etc.

I agree with taking the Pepsid AC. Also, have some TUMS on hand in case you experience some acid reflux.

Regarding the twice per day dose, and the 1250 mg per day:
          Although that's different than what I've been prescribed, in the end, it's similar. My doctor prescribes 1000 mg (twenty 50mg pills) once a day.
          It might just be easier, as someone suggested, to split it up.

BTW -- I absolutely HATE the bitter taste. But, I've found that burying the pills in yogurt and eating them with a spoon works to mask the taste. Pudding also works, but I prefer yogurt.

~ Faith
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies! They were all very comforting.

I guess I just need to research more if they is a difference between Prednisone and Prednisolone.

Luckily, I seemed have survived my three days without Pepsid.... But I had some horrible headaches that for done reason some extra food helped relieve. Yes, I ate while I took the initial dose.... But the headaches started rather dull and then built up till I ate again.... It was really weird!

Thanks again!

Comment

Lauramo,
              I realized later that it was your first post. Welcome to MSWorld! Sorry you have to be here, but I'm sure you'll find lots of good information and help here.

I also forgot to mention that you should be sure to take adequate calcium and vitamin D - the prednisone is hard on your bones. No-one told me that until some damage had been done...

Comment

Working...
              X