Ampyra?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ampyra?

This is the medication that is supposed to help with walking(?) Has anyone tried it? Experience? Good/bad/whatever? Do you recommend? why or why not?

I use it

And am looking forward to what others say. My balance is still an issue, and I have started using a cane (bleah). BUT where would I be without the ampryra?

There were quite a few discussions here in the past 3 months about this drug. Try typing it into the search bar on the top and see what you get for hits. Many discussions were about stop taking it to see what your symptom is like. This scares me as there was a dosage building schedule for starting, so abruptly stopping it might cause issues of its own.

I will continue till neuro says to stop. I do not experience any bad side effects from it.

good luck!
    You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

In tried it for 3 months, with no improvement. I did find after I stopped, I had less "cog fog".

Like all drugs, it effects everyone differently. It has helped a lot of people on here, so, give it a try.

Comment

Have been on it for over a year, I have run out twice as VA was slow shipping refill to me, I was shot until I got the refills, it has made a huge improvement in both my walking and fatigue, wouldn't know what to do without it. keep in mind it is like the other ms drugs and it seemd to effect everyone differently.
        Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I have been on it for a few months. Started with one in morning for a couple of weeks, then went to morning and evening. It has been fantastic for me, my walking and balance is back to where it was about 5 years ago and I look for further improvement. I no longer use the cane during the day at home, but I never leave home without it. Better to have and not need than to not have and need. I do use the cane when I first get up though.
          Bill
          Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Hi Linda,

Officially/legally the makers (Acorda) can only clam it helps walking and that because that is that only thing they measured in the drug trails.
            Un-officially it can help many MS symptoms; speaking from my experience I know that for a fact.
            Just like MS symptoms vary greatly per person, so does Ampyra’s effect on helping the symptoms.

I started Ampyra May 2010 with great results, and for me it has help my gait/walking, speech, brain fog, fatigue, balance, numbness in fingertips, and etc. With one symptom I noticed improvement in hours other days, weeks and months, so there it no time line on when symptoms will improve of even if they will improve.

Now there is a chance of having bad side effects, but I have no heard of any lasting after that drug is stopped. So the possible rewards greatly out way the possible risk.

I highly recommend trying it, Ampyra may not work for you but if it does WOW what a difference it can make.

FYI: One thing that happens with MS that immune system attack the myelin/insulation around the nerves in the body causing leaks and Ampyra works by plugging the leaks.
            Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Hi,

My walking is very bad. I did the timed walk for the Ampyra using a 4 wheel walker. I started taking Ampyra in May 2011. After 3 months I was sure I had very small increases in strength and energy. It was undeniable.

Then I had to switch Insurance plans and wound up not having Ampyra for a month. I totally noticed the decrease in strength, energy, etc.

Now I am back on for two weeks now and feel the extra
              boost in strength and energy. I had no negative side effects.

What have you got to lose?

Comment

Working...
              X