Medications-Pain/Depression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medications-Pain/Depression?

I was diagnosed with MS last year in February. I have been on several DMD - Copaxone, Rebif, and now Avonex.

I take Provigil for fatigue, Wellbutrin for depression and Gabapentin for pain. I also take Soma and/or Tizanadine as needed for pain from spasticity. (although I'm not sure that's really what it is??)

I also take a variety of vitamins as prescribed by my neuro.

I'm still dealing with some pretty tough bouts of depression and pain though. I'm not sure what to try at this point since my doctor has prescribed a variety of meds for both the depression and pain that haven't worked because the side-effects made me feel worse than I already did. (Lyrica - hair loss, Cymbalta - extreme dizziness, nausea)

The only thing that really makes me feel good at this point is taking 2 Soma, which means I need to add at least 1/2 a Provigil to stay alert and active. This is above the recommended dosage on the Soma and I end up unable to sleep that night.

I just joined the boards yesterday and read about LDN. Would this help at all? Are there any other things that have worked for anyone?

TIA for your support,

Elise

Hi Elsie -
    I'm sorry, but glad you found this site. It helps a lot.

You have been on quite a few meds already. I can tell you my experience with the depression, had it forever. I have been on a lot of antidepressants. It's a lot of trial and error unfortunately. I strongly suggest you get diagnosed by a psychiatrist and get the meds from him/her. They know more about them than other doctors. I would not recommend self medicating - if the doctor is telling you to take over the recommended dose, that just doesn't sit well with me. I have never had a doctor do that in the 2 decades I've been on meds. Especially when you have to take another med to counteract the first one. I know that a lot of antidepressnts make you sleepy and the provigil will help, but it sounds like something is just not sitting well with your mixture of medications. I ran through almost all antidepressants and am now on a bipolar med but my new doctor does not believe I'm actually bipolar. The med, lamotrigine (lamectal) is working though so I'm happy about that. That's why I suggest a psychiatrist, they really look at the symptoms and the other meds you are on.

I was just given tizanadine for spasicity/pain and it seems to be working. it's only been 4 days. I was taking baclofen but it wasn't working very well. If this one doesn't cut it I can take both but so far so good. I wasn't sure if the pain I was feeling was spasicity either but was told that's what it is, it's not nerve pain. But check with your doctor.

I don't know about LDN so I can't help you there but a lot of people posting take it so you should get some info about it soon.

Take care and keep posting and reading - you get good info that helps you ask your doctor other questions you may not have thought about.
    This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless

Comment

Elise,

LDN will help for depression and pain.

It works because LDN boosts the body's endorphin production 2-300% the day after you take it. Endorphins increase pleasure and decrease pain.

Taking LDN is really not much different than taking a brisk walk on a sunny day. You get a flood of endorphins. These endorphins also serve to regulate the immune system, which reduces harmful T-cell proliferation, and slows down the progession of the disease.

If you ask your neurologist if it's a good idea to exercise and get plenty of exercise and sunshine/vitamin D, you'll probably get an explanation of how people who do see their MS progress slower. Endorphins are endorphins, whether you get them from exercise, sunshine, vitamin D or LDN.

LDN is cheap and totally non-toxic. Of course, Providgil, Wellbrutin, and Gabapentin are not.

Here are two websites to learn more about LDN:

http://ldnaware.org/
      http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLDNre...17/x1Mqjl0RMeI

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you for the information about LDN. I asked my neuro about it at my appointment last week and she gave me a prescription. It is taking the pharmacy forever to fill it but I'm excited about trying it. (Hopefully starting tomorrow!)

Comment

Working...
        X