Questions about Provigil - generic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about Provigil - generic

I'm interested in procuring some of this famed Provigil to combat fatigue. I've tried Ritalin, and while it worked well, it also has a couple of downsides for me. It's nice to have when I absolutely need it, but not going to work for a regular maintenance thing.

There are places online (I'm sure they're probably not US based) that are selling generic Provigil at the cost of about $55/month. I've also read where the FTC sued Cephalon and are forcing them to allow the sale of generic versions of Provigil for the next six months or year (until April 2012?), at which point a generic will be readily available.

My insurance won't cover Provigil without a dx of narcolepsy. It's too costly for me to pay out of pocket. So I was hoping someone here might be familiar with one of these generic versions and can vouch for the quality of what's being offered.

If it helps with the fatigue as much as I hear it does (without messing up your sleep!), it would be worth the $55/month. And extra day of work would pay for an entire month's worth of energy.
    I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Hi jj:

I'm not sure it's possible to comment about the effectiveness of anything bought online because, without a chemical analysis, it's not possible to know exactly what you're getting.

Nuvigil is the new, branded (time-release) version of Provigil. It might be possible to get the manufacturer to provide it to you under a patient assistance program (CephalonCares®: 1-877-237-4881). Perhaps someone with more experience with this can offer more insight.

Have you tried alpha lipoic acid and acetyl-l carnitine for fatigue? (They're OTC, not tax or HSA deductible.)

Comment

Thank you, Redwings. I'll give them a call and see if there is anything they can do. Otherwise, I may just take the plunge and see how well this generic version works.

Comment

I forgot, I am taking the ALA/ALCAR combo. It helps some, too.

Comment

CephalonCares couldn't help because I have prescription drug coverage. They referred me to a couple of other places that couldn't help because I don't have a formal dx, and they're out of funds. I ended up ordering a generic online and am waiting to see if it gets approved. If so, I'll have it within a few weeks.

Comment

Nuvigil

Nuvigil really works for me, but it makes me feel kinda weird hours afterwards, like too many pills or something.

Comment

I have a friend who orders the generic Provigil (modafinil) online from Canada. I showed him my brand name Provigil and the pills looked exactly the same; FWIW, he tried one of my brand name pills and said it seemed the same as his generic.

I think Provigil is also FDA approved for shift-work sleep disorder, which is when you work day shift one day or week, then switch to night shift and have troubling sleeping at the "right" time. If any aspect of your job or life fits that description, maybe you could get your insurer to approve Provigil on that basis.

Comment

Provigil will become Generic in 2012. Teva is buying Cephalon and the Government is requiring no delays on the availability of Generic Provigil as part of the conditions of approval of the Deal.

"To win antitrust approval for the deal, Teva agreed to supply rival generic drug maker Par Pharmaceuticals (PRX.N) with Provigil...for one year.."
                Bill
                Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

I read that, Wkikta. I started googling on generic Provigil and ran across that little news item. They're on the market. Mine was approved by their doctor and is on it's way. My neuro knows about it and is okay with it. I should have asked him for a script to cover myself just in case. I do think it's a controlled substance - maybe?

I'll let you know how it works.

Comment

Just started Provigil

My insurance approved Provigil for me last week...I just about hit the floor (not from tripping over myself this time) when I saw that it would have cost almost $900 w/o insurance.

That is insane and crazy. Just had to get that off my chest
                    dxd RRMS 7/2011 - Rebif 8/2011 - Tecfidera 7/2013

Comment

Provigil is going generic????!!!! Awesome. This drug is what gets me through! I tried to refill my prescription over the summer and my insurance wanted over $1000. My last refill had been $90.

I contacted Cephalon to find out what the drug had increased, and a representative actually called me at home, but could not answer my question. I had to chuckle at the term "CephalonCares", because I don't think they do. Does anyone know exactly when it will be available, or is it just sometime in 2012?

Comment

It's extremely pricey. But the generic is affordable. It costs the same as our regular copays for the month's supply. It arrived today, but I wasn't home to sign for the package. There are generics available now, but I had to order it from overseas.

There is a company in India that manufactures generics and modafinil is one of them. There are several different versions, some more effective than the one I ordered. Here are the different names it goes by: Provigil, Alertec, Modavigil, Modalert, Modiodal, Modafinilo, Carim, Vigia. I ordered the Modalert from India.

I've been feeling pretty good lately, not really in need of this stuff. But I'll check back in on the topic when the next rough spell comes along and let everyone know how it works. The ritalin works, but I get kind of irritable when it wears off. That's putting it mildly.

Comment

Here it is, just three days from the post above and already I've had a need for this stuff. The generic I got came from Teva in India. The tabs are 200mg, but I broke it in half because I'm a half-pint. It didn't help all that much. I still yawned all through class this morning and it was all I could do to stay there and stay awake. It doesn't help the class is boring because we covered material at a basic level I already know in depth.

Then I passed my turn on the way home, got home and ended up taking a nap anyway. I didn't get crabby when it wore off though.

Guess I'll have to try the larger dose next time. I was hoping to get by on the cheap with a smaller one. This must be a powerful fatigue I get, because I'm able to sleep through the Ritalin sometimes too. Go figure.

I'm having a little bit of increase in symptoms because of the flu shot and overdid it a little yesterday, with two nights in a row of 4 or 5 hours of sleep. It knocks me for a loop, but that's my life.

Comment

Unless somebody else has questions on this topic, this will be my last post on it. The verdict is . . . I like it. It works well, but not so well you know you're taking something. It's a subtle, yet effective increase in energy, and I love how I don't get the mood swings after it wears off. I've had little to no trouble sleeping from it.

Since I've not had the name brand version, I can't compare the two. But comparing to Ritalin, this is so much better.

I'll be ordering more. It took two weeks to get from overseas, and was worth the wait.

Comment

provigil -generic

Ihave been taking the 'generic' from India for years.... I think it's a wonder drug. Keeps me going all day despite MS fatigue and side effects of other meds.... and the bonus for this MSer is no side effects...... what a novel idea...

Comment

Working...
                              X