increase in tricyclic antidepressant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

increase in tricyclic antidepressant

Has anyone ever used a low dose of an antidepressant for nerve pain ( in this case Amitriptyline ) & then had the dose increased (X3) to handle depression? Or were you prescribed an additional antidepressant?

Just curious. Diagnosed MS 3/11. Take copaxone & Elavil (amytrittyline) 50mg at night for pain & buzzing feeling. Recently became depressed (personally think it's medication side effect but they say MS progression....whatever ) Currently Ok with tripling Elavil dose, but wondering what others have done & if it worked)

Thank you

I took 50 mg of Elavil for several years . It was great for letting me get a full night sleep w/o trips to the bathroom. For the depression and or increased nerve pain, I am on citalopram now also (was Lyrica for 2 years). So there are things they can do to switch meds around. Even with being on anti-depressants you can still be depressed, so be careful with them. Our illness and the meds are great for causing depression!

Best of luck,
    Debbie

Comment

Amitriptyline

I'M ON LOW DOSE FOR PAIN AND DEPRESTION IT HELPS WITH BOTH. BUT FOUND THAT WHERE MY M.S. WAS WORST WITH PAIN IT REDUCED PAIN BUT SEEMS TO HAVE MADE IT HARD TO MOVE THE AFECTED AREAS. NOT SURE WHAT IS WORSE PAIN OR LESS FEELING MAKING WALKING HARDER.

Comment

Working...
      X