Baclofen pump gurgle sound ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen pump gurgle sound ?

Not thinking this is a big deal - but strange.

When I got up in the middle of the night last night; heard a noise from my pump (not an alarm) but a gurgle sound - as if my stomach was growling - but from the pump.

Anyone experience this before ?- all seems fine - but it was definitely odd and lasted about 6-10 seconds - sort of sounded like a liquid gurgle.

Well that's disconcerting. I never heard an alarm either, but I did notice that before I realized something was wrong, I did have a little more movement at the pump site, and it did seem like sometimes I'd heard a "thud" type sound, I think it was moving. Have you noticed any extra spasticity?

Best thing would be to see the pump doc and have them check the pump to make sure it's working. I found out from my situation that simple x-rays will show if the pump is in the right place, and the catheter is attached to the pump. But the pump docs would have to run their "magic machine" over the pump to make sure it's working properly.

I'd say get it checked out sooner rather than later (the voice of experience speaking .)

Not to make light of the alarms, but the other night I was woken to a high pitched sound, little bursts of sound then a longer whining sound. My immediate reaction was...is that a pump alarm. So after calming myself down and realizing the pump alarm didn't sound anything like that, I went back to sleep. My sister lives two doors from us, and the first thing she said the next morning was, "Did those coyotes wake you up at 4:30 with their howling?" LOL, we live on a golf course and near a nature preserve, and have in the last year been invaded by coyotes. I often see them running up the greens in the early AM...but this time, I guess a group had gotten together and decided to bark and howl at 4:30 in the morning. Now how hypervigilant am I that I was wondering if coyote howling was my pump alarm. It makes me laugh everytime I think about it.

Okay...so BG, call the doc, let us know what they say.

Comment

i`ve never noticed that (the pump i mean). i would call the neuro`s office to be sure it isn`t a problem. anyone else ever heard this, maybe i`m an exception (again)!?
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Don't feel different, plan to monitor for a while and if any changes will contact my pump doc.

Thank you both !

Comment

Update:
          I ended up calling my pump doctor last week. A few days after this post re: the gurgle sound, I heard 'soft whistle' type sounds once a day for the next few days. Each lasted a few seconds. I always felt no different but the sound was strange.

My pump doctor had a Medtronic rep call me (she works directly with my doctor); she basically said she asked me questions about the sound and how I felt and said she never heard of other experiences like this (of course and as long as I felt no different (no itching or increased spasticity) and it wasn't an alarm there was no concern and I could wait till my next scheduled appt with my doctor (no need to go sooner).

She also called the Medtronic tech department and called me back. The tech department said I could be hearing the 'rotors' turning - there are 3 that operate the pump - that it is these 'rotors' that trigger the alarms.

All is ok and I haven't heard any more over the past week

Comment

Wow BG, that must have been a little freaky. Glad it's fine now.

Did you know there's a youtube video that has examples of the alarms and how they sound. I happened on it the other day. I don't remember, maybe someone posted it on here.

I haven't had MRIs in quite a while, and am having some progression, so my neuro ordered a brain, c and t spine for next week. It's only been a little over 2 months since the redo surgery, so I was checking and double checking with the pump doc, the surgeon, the Medtronic tech to make sure there wasn't a problem with an MRI this soon, in a 3T tube (they did give me a Medtronic tech number to take with me if the MRI techs had questions.) I had visions of the MRI pulling the whole shebang out of place, which in turn pulls the catheter right out of my spine...then I connected to reality, but it was a fleeting thought

Everybody says's no problem, so it's a go. I'm going to wear the binder though. I pretty much wear it 24/7 anyhoo due to some residual edema from the last surgery and I've read it can help keep a pump from giving a pulling sensation during an MRI. Of course, have to stop at the pump doc right after to make sure the pump is running, evidently magnets can shut it off.

So when is your next appt with the pump doctor, or do you do like me and just go in when you think you need to adjust the dose? Are you still doing PT?

Comment

Hi Blue & RDMC

I had my pump refilled yesterday. I asked my dr about the "pump gurgling" She said she had never heard or dealt with that.

As far as doing an MRI with the baclofen pump, I have not had an issue with it. When I first got my pump, I did go see my pump dr as I was told by the MRI people, after an MRI.

After, the 3rd or 4th one, my pump dr told me to just contact them if I had any issues after an MRI.

I have been told by my Medtronic rep that the pump does stop during the MRI. It does restart after the MRI.

Take Care, Bob

Comment

hey rdmc,
                Yes; I have heard the alarms from the medtronic web site and even heard the refill alarm prior to my first refill - my neuro surgeon said I would hear it the night before my appt since he couldn't schedule the prior day. He said some people don't even hear it - but of course I did every hour on the hour. I try to make sure I have an appt sooner so I don't wear down the battery unnecessarily.

I don't think the MRI is a worry from all I read - but I would feel the same way the first time.

My next appt - just a check in w/my pump doctor is in November - since I got the higher concentration in my pump I'm not due for a refill for a few more months. He set up a 3 month follow-up during my last refill.

I have been doing PT and OT almost every day - at home. Its been very good - the PT stretches my legs and the OT does myofascial release. I was very lucky to get her since she isn't really standard OT. I wasn't familar with the method and wasn't really sold it could help me - but it is great and I am seeing and feeling benefits.

Good luck with your MRI, not sure if they even bother you - last time I had the whole series (over 2 days) I took a small piece of a xanax and it made it real easy.

BobOP,
                Thanks much for asking Medtronic and letting me know. Appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                X