Avonex Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex Users

Does anybody inject in the arms? I ordered some new needles, the 5/8" ones but they are 25 gauge. I also have 1/2" ones that are 27 gauge. I'm thinking they would be ok for the arms. I'm such a weeny.
    Thank you.

I use the approved 1" 25 gauge needles, but only inject my thighs. Been injecting them for 8 years with no problems. Nope, don't do my arms, but am questioning the needles you are contemplating using. They may not be long enough to ensure you inject in the muscle. Especially not the 1/2" ones.

If you don't want to inject your arms, don't. No reason to if you are OK with your thighs.

Comment

Auto injector

I know the 5/8" needles should be ok cause that is what they (Biogen) is using in the auto injector, I think the one in the pen is a hair longer. See below. Its just so hard to find them in 27 gauge.

Triangle Business Journal by Julie M. Donnelly
      Date: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 2:50pm EDT - Last Modified: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 3:07pm EDT

The Avonex Pen integrates the already approved Avonex prefilled syringe and utilizes a 25 gauge 16 mm needle.

Comment

a 27 gauge needle is too small. It's intended for skin testing (like for TB or allergies). A 25 gauge is usually used for children or very thin adults.
        If you are a normal sized adult a #27 needle may even bend when you try to insert it through the tissue. Avonex needs to inject into the muscle not the subcutanous fat or skin.
        If it's a fear factor when injecting first thump your thigh or slap it and inject right away. Most likely you won't feel the needle. I sometimes ask children to pinch their nose.

Comment

Originally posted by akafearless View Post
          I know the 5/8" needles should be ok cause that is what they (Biogen) is using in the auto injector, I think the one in the pen is a hair longer. See below. Its just so hard to find them in 27 gauge.

Triangle Business Journal by Julie M. Donnelly
          Date: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 2:50pm EDT - Last Modified: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 3:07pm EDT

The Avonex Pen integrates the already approved Avonex prefilled syringe and utilizes a 25 gauge 16 mm needle.
          Is the avonex pen approved in the US yet?

Comment

Working...
          X