Tylenol PM for the itchies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tylenol PM for the itchies?

Saw my neuro yesterday for my 6 month check up and mentioned that my case of the "itchies" came back on my fore arms after I got a cold or slight flu last week. For those who haven't experienced the itchies, pat yourself on the back- you aren't missing anything. In my case its like a highly concentrated itch in a tiny spot on my arm. If I try to ignore it, it gets worse very quiclky to the point of feeling like its a chemical burn. The best part is that's it all in my head (literally, its the byproduct of nerve damage).
    I mentioned Neurontin even though I wasn't in a hurry to take it. My neuro smiles and says "Not yet, I want you to try taking Tylenol PM first. Tylenol PM has benedryl in it and it should knock down the itch plus it will help you sleep. "
    I like the way my Doc thinks.
    I tried it last night and it seems to work although the itchies aren't nessesarily an every-day thing (most times they are and can last weeks but sometimes its hit-or-miss). I'll update this thread in a week or so and let you know how it goes.

By the way, I'm not endorsing a product. I'm just trying this out to see if it works. While I have many crainial lesions due to MS, some of my secondary symtoms are considered minor (knock wood) and both my Neuro and I are happy keeping things as simple as possible.
    As with any med/suppliment, always check with your doctor first. Tylenol PM carries a warning for possible liver damage, you probably don't want to try this for an extended period of time.

Comment

Good info for those of us with itchies....I am thinking the liver issue is because of Tylenol. The benedryl can be taken by itself, I use a generic all the time. I've had no trouble taking it for extended periods of time. It is fall allergy season and I'll be taking it every night for awhile.

Comment

Well, hopefully the worst is over (for now).
        The Tylenol PM definatly helped with the itchies although it reminded me why I stopped using Tylenol many years ago. Too much of an "air head" effect and its almost as if you feel a slight hangover once you stop. That being said, even at their worst I could barely feel an itch and it never progressed to the "burning" phase.
        I'll definatly keep an eye out for generic Benedryl for the next time. I'll bug my Doc about proper dosage, etc.

Comment

I'm confused, how does Benadryl help itching if it is caused by nerves? - not allergies or bug bites or something.
          "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power
          is made perfect in weakness." -2 Cor. 12:9

dx 11.23.10 RRMS

Comment

The only thing I can figure, and I'm definatly not a neuro, is that some signals in the brain get cross-connected with the result that the brain thinks the patch of skin is under some kind of stress so it releases histamines in the "effected" area.
            Kinda like how some people can show signs of stigmata without faking it. I definatly get a tiny red spot where the "itch" is felt.
            Its also entirely possible I placebo'ed out again and the pills did nothing besides convincing myself I fixed the problem.
            Next time I see my Doc I'll ask.

Comment

I've had success for my case

of itching especially at night with the Allegra 180mg.
              (Actually the generic fexofenadine, Wal-mart brand.) I was absolutely going crazy with this & tried it out of desperation. I take it in the evening so it has plenty of time to kick in.

I noticed ( before I started that med) that the itching & the
              twitches would often start at the same time while I was trying to fall asleep or would wake me up. So I think the itching is definitely an "MS thing".
              T-tk (dx RR 10/08 Copax.2008)
              Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way.

Comment

Working...
              X