Topamax & Hair loss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topamax & Hair loss?

Anyone else on Topamax and experiencing more than usual hair loss?

I've been on it since January and have read about this side effect, but only recently started experiencing it. Since I have a ton of hair, I'm not too worried about it yet, but I'd like to avoid losing too much if possible.

Getting off of it is not an option at this time- it is for a hand tremor and I'm a photographer. I'm not willing to let my hand tremor get even worse than it is.
    Erin

doing the Limbo since 2005

Usually you can counteract it with, I believe, zinc oxide supplements. Depakote has the same effect.
    Diagnosis: May, 2008
    Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

I'm on Rebif and was worried about hair loss as it is quite thin now, but just the opposite is happening, I've had quite a bit of hair gain on my head, and at 49 my stomach was hairless and now it is starting to look like a hairy *** dog, guess I should be happy about that, I can say what a surprise this has been and hope it moves up to my chest

Comment

Originally posted by maximumlite View Post
        I'm on Rebif and was worried about hair loss as it is quite thin now, but just the opposite is happening, I've had quite a bit of hair gain on my head, and at 49 my stomach was hairless and now it is starting to look like a hairy *** dog, guess I should be happy about that, I can say what a surprise this has been and hope it moves up to my chest
        I was on Rebif for 3 months and noticed MAJOR hair loss. My neurologist switched me over to Copaxone and it has not helped at all. It seems that I'm losing more hair each day. I'm terrified of ending up bald! I've lost at least 2/3 of my hair. I went to a dermatologist and did a bunch of blood tests and all vitamin levels seem to be normal. Does anyone have any suggestions?
        Diagnosed Feb. 2011
        Rebif 3/11-5/11;Copaxone 6/11-10/11;Gilenya 10/11-present

Comment

Thanks you guys! Glad I'm not the only one, but I'm sorry others are experiencing hair loss because of meds too.

After doing some research, I've found a list of supplements that are supposed to help the hair loss without discontinuing the meds.

Biotin
          Selenium
          Zinc
          Folic Acid
          Iron (if you have any problems with anemia)

A few of these I already get in my Vitamin B complex supplement, so it is just adding the others in and hoping they work. It takes a little time to start working, but I guess it is supposed to work well once it does.
          Erin

Comment

Vitamins? Thyroid?

Have you had a Thyroid Panel done? Thyroid disorders either way, hypo or hyper, can cause hairloss, among other things.

I myself am hypothyroid, and I have experienced hairloss, skin roughness and dryness, and nasty nail problems.

If you haven't had it checked, maybe you could suggest it to your PCP or Neuro, never hurts to ask!

Another thing that comes to mind is from an episode of the Dr. Oz show, a speaker mentioned taking pre-natal vitamins to help with hair loss. I would guess that it may be the folic acid in the vitamin. I would caution you to check the amount of iron if you're prone to constipation.

I have also seen a supplement at Wal-Mart, I think it is called, "Hair, Skin, and Nails." Never read the ingredients, but you may take a look at that.

I did take Topamax for a very short time, I didn't notice any hairloss, just noodles for legs !

I hope you get some answers that work for you!

Cat
            =^..^= Cat =^..^=

First Major MS Symptoms 2/25/06
            Official MS Diagnosis 4/13/06
            Bifer Babe, Copa Cutie, and finally a Gilenya Goddess

Comment

Thanks Cat! Yup- my thyroid has been checked a bazillion times and it is fine, but that is always a good reminder for everyone experiencing a new symptom like hairloss.

Good call on the iron- I do have major problems with constipation so I need to watch that!

From what I've read, it's the other supplements that are really the helpful ones, unless you have anemia issues.

Hmm... my nails already grow ridiculously fast, this could be interesting!

Thanks for your advice.
              Erin

Comment

Working...
              X