Starting Copaxone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Copaxone

I have been taking Rebif since June and it just doesnt seem to like me.. so here we go again.

can you guys just share your experiences with me on copaxone? Please..

the good and the bad!

thanks so much

Hi, and welcome!!
    I am pretty new here as well, but there are a ton of amazing people that will help ya learn the ropes pretty fast!
    There are quite a few threads that are all ready going all about copaxone, you should go through those and have a read, and if ya have questions, this is the place to ask them!
    <3
    Heather

Comment

I started my MS therapy with Rebif as well. I stopped because I experienced and still am experiencing SEVERE hair loss.
      Switching over to Copaxone was not as terrifying as I was expecting. It is more of a hassle because the injections are daily as opposed to 3 times a week, but one gets used to it.
      As far as the actual injection itself, I immediately noticed the pain. It burns, stings, and then itches. It seems to have gotten better over the last 2 months. When I first started taking Copaxone, I had no side effects with injection site reactions. In fact, you couldn't even tell I had injected in a certain spot (MAJOR difference compared to Rebif). Now however, I am experiencing red, sore, itchy bumps in the places I inject. They seem to remain for up to a 1.5 weeks. This is something new and I will probably contact Shared Solutions and ask them about it.
      All in all, I felt that the switchover to Copaxone was rather smooth and aside from the hair loss that I'm still suffering from and the sore injection sites, I am generally happy with the treatment.
      Best of luck to you.
      Diagnosed Feb. 2011
      Rebif 3/11-5/11;Copaxone 6/11-10/11;Gilenya 10/11-present

Comment

One thing with Copaxone is you always want to make sure - if you are using the autoject - that the autoject is working properly. It should take no more than 5 seconds to inject the drug into you using the autoject. If it takes longer, yours may be broken - which causes the stinging to start during the injection. Once I got a new autoject, the difference was enormous.
        Diagnosis: May, 2008
        Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

I have been on Copaxone for over 1 year. Yes, there is stinging and some itching and some lumps and bumps but it has been so minor to me as to be no problem.

I just keep in mind why I take the drug. I don't expect it to cure me and I don't know if it will help..but the minor (and I mean minor) inconvenience of itching, bumps and the stinging no worse than a bee sting is a small price to pay if it helps.

There are thousands of people out there walking past you every day on Copaxone that you will never hear from.

They just live their lives.

Good luck.

j
          Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Hmmmm, thanks for that Spyder!!!
            How did you discover yours was not working?? And how was it not working??
            I'm curious now :P

Comment

By the time I asked for a new autoject, it would take about 30 seconds to pump the medicine in. And then, there were times where it would take longer, like the spring that pushes the plunger down wasn't working at all. It became painful. And the Shared Solutions lady said that it WAS the spring that delivers the medication. She said people normally go through about 1 autoject per year, and depending on the insurance, she recommends that people keep a second autoject on hand so you don't have to wait the three to four days to get a new one when you have problems with it.
              Diagnosis: May, 2008
              Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

The bad: itchy red welts that last for days.

The good: tonite was the first time since I started that I did NOT need the ice after injecting (started in mid June).

I do take an anti-itch allergy over the counter med or otherwise IŽd be scratching myself raw- the itch is that bad.

The needle is very small and very thin- it is possible for a needle phobe to self-inject manually. I use the auto injector for the hip areas- it avoids pinching a nerve in my neck in order to look back so far.

Comment

Hello Hartzmom2, I had been on Avonex since June 1999, until June of this year. I discussed my options with my neuro and we decided to try Copaxone. I have been on Copaxone since the first week of June.

So far I have only had swelling in the immediate area, redness, burning and stinging. I do not use heat or ice before. I use my ice pack for about 15 mins after injection. I love using Benedryl Gel. After injecting I hold the area with a cotton ball for a minute and then apply the gel before using ice. Usually after the 15 mins these symptoms are gone.

I always know there is a chance of experiencing Immediate Post Injection Reaction. I also do not like the inconvenience of taking a shot each day. I do try to look on the positive that there could be no medications to slow down my MS.

Comment

Working...
                  X