going up on gabapentin dose need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

going up on gabapentin dose need advice

I currently take 300 mg 4x a day. I am going to work up to 600 mg 4x a day. I have a few questions for those of you that take doses like this....Does anyone know the maximum dose for gabapentin? He said to add one pill every 3 - 5 days until I had worked up to that dose - how do you suggest I start - is it going to make me tired? I don't think gabapentin makes me tired now. I am starting classes again around the end of August so I want to be close to done by then if possible. Thanks!
    Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
    ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

My soon-to-be-ex-husband takes 3600 mg of gabapentin daily, which I think is the maximum dosage, but he's also 6' 4" and weighs almost 400 lbs.

I would suggest adding 1 pill to your first dose on Day 1, then one pill to your 3rd dose on Day 3 or 4. Next add one pill to your 2nd dose on Day 6 or 7, and one pill to your 4th dose on Day 10 or 11. In other words, add them to every other dose each time until you work up to the full amount.
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I take 2700mg a day and they had me add one pill a week so week1- 1x3 week 2- 2x3 week 3- 3x3 myself I have no problems with it making me tired but everyone is different

Comment

going up/gabapentin

Just went up from 600mg 3x daily to 900mg 3x daily. Was supposed to space increase out slowly over a couple of weeks or so - but was inpatient and sped the process up considerably. Honestly, was VERY fatigued before the increase, and have NOT noticed any measurable difference since the increase. Do think i might have pushed the dosing a little too fast though - as my sleep patterns have been rather goofy since. Also been having strange dreams!?!? Don't know if connected to meds increase or not. Suppose time will tell. Good luck.

Comment

Purpose of Gabapentin

I am just learning about this medication. What is used for, what are the side effects, and are there restricions with certain medications? Have people received benefit?

Comment

i don`t know what the max dose is, but the one side i know of for sure are increased tremors. sometimes my hands shake so bad i can`t keep hold of things! it is really difficult to cope with. good luck.

dave
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Okay, I will add the dose in over a week at a time I guess. I don't want to be tired.

I use gabapentin for nerve pain for the poster that asked. I have the HUG and terrible nerve pain and spasticity pain.

I did notice I did not want to wake up this morning! LOL
              Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
              ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

Working...
              X