anyone taking Nuvigil for fatigue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone taking Nuvigil for fatigue?

lately my fatigue has been horrible, my Dr. says it could have to do with how hot its been so he gave me some samples of nuvigil to help and I was just wondering if anyone else has been on it and if they have had any side effects. Also, wanted to know if anyone on it has seen a big improvement in their energy levels. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Nuvigil is a newer formulation similar to Provigil. I've taken Provigil for a few years and it is very effective for me. My only side effect is perhaps more headaches, but that is hard to attribute to the medication.

Provigil continues to work best if I take a day break from it each week. Seems to help in preventing developing a tolerance to it.

Let us know how you like Nuvigil.

Comment

I have been on Nuvigil since January and never had any side effects from it. I take 250mg, but like Justsayyes said, I can only take it every couple of days when I need it the most or it doesn't work because you build up a tolerance so quickly.
      "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power
      is made perfect in weakness." -2 Cor. 12:9

dx 11.23.10 RRMS

Comment

Nuvigil side effects

The only noticeable side effect for me was I was nervous and tense a lot. It was starting to get intense but I thought it was my job (internet help desk tech).

There was a glitch renewing it and I was off for over a month. My "anxiety" seemed to decrease a lot.

I had provigil left over, so I took that "as needed" - not every day - and that worked well.

I am going to try the same approach with the Nuvigil script I just filled.

I have not decided if Nuvigil has helped me or not.

Remember, these are just MY reactions and thoughts. I saw one study that showed these side effects in about 5-6% of those not on placebo.
        dx June 1994
        Tanstaafl !

Comment

I took Provigil (the "mother" of Nuvigil) for awhile, but got horrible chest pains, so when my doctor wanted me to try Nuvigil, I was afraid to and declined. I also took amantadine and Focilin. Neither of them worked very well.

Since September 2009, I've been taking two OTC antioxidant supplements, acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid. They were both shown in university studies to alleviate the fatigue of MS, chronic fatigue syndrome, cancer, aging, etc. I've had great results with them, as have many other folks here on this site. If you're interested in trying them, just do a Google search for them or search on this site and you'll find a lot of great info.

I hope you get some relief soon. I remember how awful that fatigue can be.

Hugs and prayers,

Lisa
          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I am going to talk to my doctor next week about Nuvigul. My fatigue is SO extreme, I am unable to stay awake for more than a few hours at a time. I need something that will work!!!

And Lisa, I am going to attempt to look for the ALA and the ALC at my pharmacy the next time I am there, to see if I can find it. (cross your fingers for me!!!) I need somethig that will work, and I am willing to try anything!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KalikaLily View Post
              I am going to talk to my doctor next week about Nuvigul. My fatigue is SO extreme, I am unable to stay awake for more than a few hours at a time. I need something that will work!!!

And Lisa, I am going to attempt to look for the ALA and the ALC at my pharmacy the next time I am there, to see if I can find it. (cross your fingers for me!!!) I need somethig that will work, and I am willing to try anything!!!!
              KalikaLily, I hate to tell you, but you won't be able to get either ALA or ALC (I'm not sure which one) in Canada. For some reason, it's restricted there. I'm so sorry! Check it out though, just in case. Maybe you can get one of them.

Hugs,

Lisa
              Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
              Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I take Nuvigil

started about 5 mos. ago.
                The first few doses I did get a headache with, so I just started taking Naproxen or Ibuprofen with the Nuvigil.

Also, the 1st week only, in fact I think for the first 3 doses, I had some insomnia on those nights.

That has stopped. I feel it works well, yet some days, I do still have fatigue. I see though a huge difference in my ability to focus & stay "out of the fog" at work. It is such a help there.

I may ask for a dose increase trial at my next Neuro visit to the 250mg. But I also don't take it every day, usually skip a day on the weekends.

I unfortunately had no luck with the natural supplements at all. Didn't touch my fatigue at all.

Good luck to you.
                T-tk (dx RR 10/08 Copax.2008)
                Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way.

Comment

My insurance will not approve Provigil or Nuvigil for MS fatigue. I have appealed it many times and still have been denied.

Comment

Originally posted by terie-tk View Post
                    I unfortunately had no luck with the natural supplements at all. Didn't touch my fatigue at all.
                    If I may ask, what dosage of ALC and ALA were you taking and for how long?

The dosages in the university studies for MS were 2,000 mg of ALC and 200 mg of ALA daily, though some of us get results on half the ALC dosage. They both have to be taken every morning, preferably on an empty stomach. And it sometimes takes up to a month to get the full effects. Also, if you are taking any thyroid or diabetes medications, the supplements can increase the effects of those meds, which might necessitate an adjustment in those meds. It can also help if you take the supplements with a complete Vitamin B supplement.

Sometimes though, for whatever reason, even if the full dosage, duration, etc. are followed, they may not work. We're all individuals and for whatever reason, sometimes what works for one won't work for another. I'm glad the Nuvigil is working for you though.

Comment

Ask your neuro

Originally posted by smcb95 View Post
                      My insurance will not approve Provigil or Nuvigil for MS fatigue. I have appealed it many times and still have been denied.

I'm Medicare and a supplemental insurance. Both would not allow Nuvigil, but when I told my neuro he said he would intervene and he did. Apparently if the neuro says you need it and fills out a form they will allow you to get the prescription.

It's still very expensive, but since we go into and through the Medicare 'donut hole' early since I easily spend through my co-pays and deductibles I get it (eventually) fairly reasonably.

Good Luck,

Diane
                      You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

~Shashi~

If I may ask, what dosage of ALC and ALA were you taking and for how long? ----answer--->

I worked up to max dose & took them for 3 mos total. (Your posts were my inspiration for trying them).Do you think I didn't give it long enough?

I took them regularly on an empty stomach & I'm not on thyroid or diabetic meds. I just took the Wal-Mart brand & no I didn't try with a B-complex.

Maybe I should give it another try. Your suggestions would be much appreciated as always.
                        T-tk (dx RR 10/08 Copax.2008)
                        Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way.

Comment

I just started Nuvigil

today is my 2nd day and I have had a half way headach both yesterday and today but ibuprofen is helping with that, some stomach upset and being more nervous, and last night I slept for about 4 hours, so there are some downfalls but like the other ones on here I think it is from just starting it so I will give it some time and see where it goes! Energy level seems better...time will tell!

Comment

I tried ALA and ALC for over a year and I concluded that they were ineffective for me.

I take Nuvigil and it helps me to keep working. I try to skip it or take a reduced dose on my day off and I can really notice a difference in my energy and productivity level. I go from zero to 80% when I take Nuvigil. It keeps me going well enough to get through an entire workday. I can't do much after work so I rest.

But then it is not supposed to make us totally what we were before the MS.

This helps me to keep working full time and to keep productive so that I can avoid disability because fatigue is my worst symptom hands down.
                            Take care, Wiz
                            RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Sorta works

I have Nuvigil, but don't take it daily. It will make me 'wired' and make my heart race.

Mine is a low dose; sometimes I cut it in half.

I was never on Provigil. Would sort of like to try it and 'feel' what the difference is.

Diane
                              You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Working...
                              X