Botox for bladders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Botox for bladders

I saw this article (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...ry?id=14231938) today about using Botox to control bladder urgency and incontinence. It is supposed to be approved by the end of the year. It specifically mentions MS patients. If this truly works, I am going to be asking for it ASAP!!! To not have to worry about this part of things would be such a huge relief and blessing. It would mean a big chunk of normal coming back!!!

I knew someone on another MS board who was having regular botox treatments for bladder problems a couple of years ago, and said they worked very well for her.

Comment

Really! I wish my neuro would actually have the thought to suggest some of these things! It is so frustrating sometimes! Well, he's retiring anyway and I am going to be sure to bring it up with the new guy. If this worked for me, it would be one huge weight lifted off my shoulders.

Comment

Hello South7,
        I am the the person that have been getting botox injection for my bladder for the last 4 years.

In fact, I received another injection just a week ago. It helps me to stay drier and make it to the restroom without me having a accident. I get a injection every 4 months from my urologist.
        Good Luck

Comment

Hi Oasis - So the Botox injections are done by your urologist? I actually haven't seen a urologist - I guess perhaps I should. I am on Copaxone, but my neuro really doesn't suggest much of anything else to help out. How did you go about bringing up the treatment with him/her? What was the initial injection like, and how are the injection "updates?" How much do you feel this has improved things? I have gotten to the point where I avoid so many things and situations - always so worried about the urgency.

Comment

Hi South 7,
            Only urologist can give bladder botox injection. I meet my urologist at a urologist clinic that they had at my neuro building.
            She left there and opened up her on office. Now she has 2 offices in different cities. She does botox injections on tues and thurs, and ther other days she has office appointments. She was the one who asked me if I wanted to try it.
            I use to have to use up tp 8 pads a day, now I use just 3. And that is if i go somewhere and can not find the bathroom. Plus my doctor have me to take Detrol each day. The shot lasts for me, about 6 months. It takes about 2 weeks to kick in.

Comment

Hi South7,
              Today the FDA has finally approved Botox injections for the bladder. It is a cleaner form of botox. Not like the one for cosmetics, which is pretty poison. I started taking it before they cleaned it up and it still helped me.

I just read the story in todays newspaper and thought you would like to know about it.
              So what ever you decide to do, good luck

Comment

Saw the info this morning on the FDA approval as well. Here is another link to an article from today

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...ares-gain.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_1...-10391704.html

Comment

Does anyone know if Botox also works to relieve urinary retention? That is by far a bigger problem than incontinence for me. Detrol and the rest only make retention worse for me.

Comment

I am scheduled for 10/21 to have the botox injections in my bladder. I am really looking forward to having this done, hopefully will help settle things down! Really tired of that "gotta go right now" feeling. My Urologist said that he has had very good results with the procedure!

Comment

Working...
                    X