Copaxone and Thyroid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone and Thyroid

I have been on Copaxone for about 9 months now. Outside of some really minor side effects that are not too terrible to deal with, I have a suspicion that I am one of those rare people that has had their thyroid affected.

I went to my PCP last week for a routine check up. She likes to see me about every three months just to make sure all is going well. I love her and wouldn't trade her. Anyway, after examining my neck, she gets a concerned look on her face and says she is ordering an ultrasound. The tech didn't see any nodules, but when my doctor consulted with the other doctor who oversees the ultrasounds, it seems that there is something going on. I am scheduled for blood tests to check my thyroid levels. My doctor mentioned that she thinks it might be Hashimoto's disease, also known as Hashimoto's thryoiditis.

In conducting investigations into what this disease is, I checked out the side effects of Copaxone. It was a total whim. Wouldn't you know it, thyroid conditions are a rare side effect.

Has anyone here had Copaxone affect their thryoid? Anything will help. I'm a little nervous. I'm one of those lucky people that if you saw me, you would never know I have MS. I have no outward symptoms and I want to keep it that way.

Thanks.

Miriam

I was on copax for 8 months and then switched to TY last summer, My thyroid has gone nuts and is swollen up to varying degree depending on the day,it was also causing me not to be able to gain any weight back, I'm not sure if it is from the copax or radiation treatment for cancer, oncologist blames MS , nuero says radiation. It also is causing numbness in my lower jaw and lip. Had a cat scan 2 weeks ago nothing found so have asked for ENT refferal to look into having it removed, tired of having what my wife calls a turkey neck.
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Miriam - Before I started Copaxone I was already taking thyroid medication for a a low thyroid. I wasn't too concerned considering copax. seemed to be one of the more benign ms drugs when it comes to side effects and needed follow up blood test. Well surprise! either it effected my thyroid itself or had some interaction with the medicine I was taking because every thryoid test I had after that showed that I needed more medicine. I had been on the same dose for 6 years before starting Copaxone so I think it was related. I really don't know and the docs never say for sure. My meds had to be increased ALOT and each time they tested it had to be adjusted. I took Avonex after Copaxone and that wasn't any better for my thryoid. Like I said I had thyroid problems before it didn't cause the problem but it seemed to make it much harder to control. Good Luck

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I got my levels back and one seems really low to me, but the doctor says that overall everything looks fine. I am just concerned because I was told there was a small issue with it and my levels aren't exactly stellar. I have noticed some symptoms of thyroid issues. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on myself and track my symptoms.

Until the last year or so, I rarely got so much as a cold.

Comment

The other thing to consider is that thyroid issues are also thought to be autoimmune so the chances of people with MS getting the double whammy isn't unheard of and also as we age all sorts of health issues just crop up, MS or not.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

The Double Whammy!

I guess I got the double whammy. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease in 1994 and RRMS in 1995. I often wondered if one thing led to another or if the thyroid dx was a good indication that my immune system was being compromised. They are both autoimmune diseases and I wonder if one has anything to do with getting the other?

Diane
            You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

I am constantly getting my thyroid checked because of hair loss, and no, my thyroid is not being affected by the medication.
              Diagnosed Feb. 2011
              Rebif 3/11-5/11;Copaxone 6/11-10/11;Gilenya 10/11-present

Comment

Medication of MS

I started with copax and took it for about 3 years 8 years ago; then went to rebif for about 2 years. currrently I am on no meds since I think I am no longer RR. However, since my thyroid, blood pressure and everyother thing that could go wrong has.....don't some of you think MS (according to where the lesions are) can effect that system in your body? My PC has me on 4 blood pressure meds and my BP can still go extremely high at times and at times low. Additionally I ran a fever for several years straight (not too high) now i have had two cases of a fever of 104 with extreme teeth chattering and shivering that only last abouy 4 hours. i could list 1,000 symptoms

Comment

Working...
                X