Stopping Cymbalta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stopping Cymbalta

As you may have read on my earlier posts, I was trying Cymbalta for the 3rd time and was a little hesitant after my previous experiences.

I have finally decided after a complete 2 weeks of 30 mg daily, that Cymbalta is not the drug for me. I was really looking forward to the nasty side effects dimenishing after the first week, but to no avail .

If anything, they have worsened. My fatigue level has continued to worsen and I am just about at zombie level. I am having much more difficulty with word finding and speech in general. It feels as though my strength in my legs has also deminished, and I just feel as though I have all over muscle weakness. Not to mention that it has done nothing for my neuropathy.

I was at a family BBQ over the weekend and was asked several times if I had been drinking due to me slurring my words and just being "out of it." Fortunately, my family knew that I was trying out a new drug, so the drinking comment was kind of a funny remark between us. But when I managed to trip with a plate of ribs and just about do a header into the fence, the joke was over. It happened several times over the weekend.

I have read on several websites not to "cold turkey" it, but I've had enough of this toxic feeling and will just deal with the withdrawl symptoms, I don't want this med in my body any longer than necessary. I plan to start back up on Prozac and took my first dose last night, I've read that doing so will decrease some of the withdrawl symptoms from Cymbalta.

I don't want to discourage anyone from trying Cymbalta, it may be just the drug for you, but my feeling for me is that if I experience more problems or side effects from a drug that is supposed to be helping me, more discomfort than the original purpose for trying a drug, than I'm done with it, you know?

I do plan to start another thread related to pain relief, but for now my Cymbalta journey is over for the final time.

Thanks for reading,

Cat
    =^..^= Cat =^..^=

First Major MS Symptoms 2/25/06
    Official MS Diagnosis 4/13/06
    Bifer Babe, Copa Cutie, and finally a Gilenya Goddess

My doctor has put me on Cymalta. I am on my 3rd week with an increase to dose 60mg. I am so nauseated, its only been two days at the higher dose but it is already effecting me. I want to try to hang in there for a few more weeks to see if this drug helps me. UGH If I make it

Comment

Nausea....

I read on the prescribing information that nausea is one of the most experienced side effects from Cymbalta.

That's about the only side effect that I didn't have !

Is it possible to ask your neuro for an anti-nausea medication to get you through the adjustment period?

I take oral Tigan for nausea on an as needed basis. It is very effective and non-sedating. (Does require Rx)

I think that if nausea is the only side effect your experiencing, I would definitely try to continue with it. I assume that it is helping?

Please keep me posted, I'd really like to see someone benefit from this drug
      =^..^= Cat =^..^=

First Major MS Symptoms 2/25/06
      Official MS Diagnosis 4/13/06
      Bifer Babe, Copa Cutie, and finally a Gilenya Goddess

Comment

Thats actually a really good idea, think I will call my neuro and ask about something for my nausea. I really haven't noticed any changes so far, but hopeful Will keep ya posted

Comment

cymbalta

For those with nausea; are you taking it following meals?

How unusual, I seem to be able to take this; at least I haven't noticed anything 'bad' yet.

On the other hand I can't tolerate Lyrica at all.

I guess this is hit and miss for all of us.

The drugs we usually are given were not actually developed for MS, but sometimes work on MS symptoms.

The symptoms vary so greatly in all of us that it would be hard to figure out how to proceed to develope a drug.

Hmmmm...then again, Provigil and Nuvigil; were they developed with MS in mind?

Diane
          You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Working...
          X