Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avonex to Copaxone because I just can't handle the injections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex to Copaxone because I just can't handle the injections?

I know it sounds weird, but my neuro is considering changing me from Avonex to Copaxone because of my psychological reactions to the Avonex injections. I know it sound bizarre to go from a once a week injection to a daily, but it seems my issue is with intramuscular injections.

I'm a little (nope, a lot) annoyed with myself because I didn't want this to beat me, but my last Avo injection convinced me, when I just about passed out from the anxiety as I tried to inject.

I am fine with daily subcut injections - have done them before on another medication.

I'm feeling a little defeated. I wanted to conquer my fear rather than let it beat me because I wanted to have all options available to me should the Avonex not work for me (have only been on it for around 6 months so it's hardly had a chance to be effective).

I guess I'm looking for some validation or a good slap upside the head with a side order of "toughen up princess", can anyone suggest any good reasons for staying on the Avonex?
    Teresa
    Diagnosis February 2011 Avonex: February 2011 - September 2011, Copaxone: September 2011 - current

Originally posted by Kiwiinoz View Post
    I know it sounds weird, but my neuro is considering changing me from Avonex to Copaxone because of my psychological reactions to the Avonex injections. I know it sound bizarre to go from a once a week injection to a daily, but it seems my issue is with intramuscular injections.

I'm a little (nope, a lot) annoyed with myself because I didn't want this to beat me, but my last Avo injection convinced me, when I just about passed out from the anxiety as I tried to inject.

I am fine with daily subcut injections - have done them before on another medication.

I'm feeling a little defeated. I wanted to conquer my fear rather than let it beat me because I wanted to have all options available to me should the Avonex not work for me (have only been on it for around 6 months so it's hardly had a chance to be effective).

I guess I'm looking for some validation or a good slap upside the head with a side order of "toughen up princess", can anyone suggest any good reasons for staying on the Avonex?
    Hi Kiwiinoz:

Please don't feel bad about your fear of deep muscle injections. Living with MS is not easy and if you add the "I should be brave enough" factor, you are not doing yourself any good. Remember that you are brave because you face your MS day in and day out and are seeking other alternatives to your fear. Remember, like everything in life, if it is not working, why keep doing it. You are brave because you acknowledge that you have a fear and have sought an alternative. That is way better than dreading an injection every week!!

Hope Copaxone works for you! Take care.
    First episode with third pregnancy
    On my fourth med: Tysabri since Jan 2013
    Proud mommy of three children

Comment

After the IM injections Copaxone will be a breeze for you.

Take your time and throw the autoject out if you want it to be even easier. Manual injection is so easy on your body.

I think you are very brave because you are willing to try again and not quit. Keep us informed on your progress.

j
      Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Part of making a good choice of treatment is to pick one you can stay with. Since you are "fine with daily subcut injections" that is a better choice for you!

Comment

Wow, thanks everyone for your support. "Talking" to you has really helped the crappy way I was feeling about this decision. I'm back to the neuro in September so will just get my hubby to do my shots until then. Lucky he's so amazing or I'd be well and truly stuck.
          Teresa
          Diagnosis February 2011 Avonex: February 2011 - September 2011, Copaxone: September 2011 - current

Comment

Kiwi-

Sorry, I'm late to yet another party!

I was on Avonex as well. At first, I thought I could "beat" the big a** needle, too. I tried everything - icing the area beforehand, drinking some wine, listening to slow jams, doing breathing exercises, but I just could not bring myself to jab that giant elephant killer needle into my own body parts.

I was all worked up about it, dreading it, feeling down on myself. But, I finally realized, this is not an easy task. We are not hard wired to impale ourselves! LOL I finally gave in and formed a network of friends and nurses at my neuro's office to give me the injections. It made that part so much easier and stress free.

I even had one friend who did it most of the time that liked our "shot nights" because we would go to a movie afterward. (I think she liked stabbing me, too!)

When I moved, I lost that network of people, and I stopped the Avonex altogether. At the time, it was ok, because I wasn't having any symptoms. I made it almost 10 years without any meds. Soon, though, I'll be back on one.

Now, I guess I'll do a subcutaneous injection because I still don't have that network here.

But, the moral of the story is - don't feel bad about the IM injections. They are not EASY for anyone! Just switch to something you CAN do, and stick (sorry, no pun intended) with it! Good luck!

Comment

Working...
            X