No announcement yet.

Started on Copaxone Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope these tips have helped you. I was on Copaxone briefly, unfortunately my side effects gradually increased instead of decreased. I have a history of bad reactions to medication so I will not say it doesn't work.

I was actually quite disappointed I had to discontinue it. Copaxone was the first DMD I was really hopeful about. I agree with the others here that recommend the manuel injection vs. the auto-injector. I had far less pain with manuel injection. I also found that ice afterwards and benadryl gel really helped with the bumps, lumps and welts. It is true-those will diminish over time.

Good Luck to you!

Comment

I have never had the itch just the burn/sting that starts a min after injection.
      All Of you are so wonderful for all your help!
      Thank you all so much!
      I dont know anyone who has MS so I have No one to talk to its a lonley world here in my room! Till I get on this forum
      Then I dont feel alone anymore at all. I feel like I fit in!
      My husband said to me lastnight that i am doing really good with the injections! Sometimes he can be so sweet and help full and some other times well...
      As far as mannual injections go can you still control the needle depth? My setting is a 4 or 5 51/2 deepest on the love handles. I am all bone and atrophyed muscle. I just cant imagine sticking a needle in my skin! I am pretty sure I will passout. I wonder if its tramatic for me to give myself the autoject even and that is why I go right to sleep. ???? Hmmmm. Its a wonder.. I am weird after all! I am on facebook too if anyone wants to friend me on there. Then you can see i really am skin and bones.
      I hope everyone has a great weekend! I am hopping the same for myself.. My and my hubbys life has became so stressful we both dread everyday and every phone call.
      Skinny/Jess

In Limbo for 7 years. MS Dx July 2011. I am a Copaxone Cutie

Comment

Hey Skinny, hang in there. It gets easier.

Dart the needle in quick if you manual inject which is less painful than the auto inject and once its in (you will hardly feel it because its a tiny guage needle) inject the meds slowly. The problem with auto is that it pushes the meds too fast and causes a pretty good sting as well as a healthy lump. At least thats what they told me. Also, take the shot after your shower when the skin is soft. and put ice on it for no more than 1 minute. After a few weeks it gets much easier to do. If you can tough it out that long...you'll probably be glad you did.

The shared solutions nurses are always just a phone call away. Your not alone. If you need someone to talk to my email is in my profile. hang in there and good luck!
        -Kim
        Hope for the best, prepare for the worst and that way you have all your bases covered.

Comment

Thank you all so much so many tips and I will try them all I got a huge welt lastnight and posted about it on a new thread it was scarry!
          Thanks again for all the support its hard going though this alone... I am not really alone friends and family but no MS buddy to talk to unless I get on here. I am so Thankful for this site!
          Skinny/Jess

Comment

I've been taking copaxone since June of 05. Trust me it does get easier. It's good not to be on the solumedrol I.V. roller coaster. I haven't had a relapse since august of 05, and I thank the Copaxone for that.

Comment

Wow That is Great!
              I am ashamed to say I have missed 2 nights of my injections I have a kindey stone and i am in so much pain injecting my self just seems burtal...
              Skinny/Jess

Comment

I put my arm over the back of a bar stool to get the fat to roll. ha ha ha I do my auto inject after my shower every night. The injections do not may me sleepy. I have to take ambien every night to sleep. I am on week 9 and no bad side effects yet. Redness and swelling sometimes. I just try to be thankful every night when I take my injections and think of all of the people on chemo therapy.I can deal with this pain compared to those who are fighting a terminal disease.

Comment

Sorry to read of the kidney stone.
                  Hopefully, that will pass soon.

If you can think if these shots as a decoy for the MS to attack instead of you, maybe that will encourage you to inject daily.

Are you taking aspirin or other types of pain killers?
                  They should also help with the pain of the shots.

I inject manually.
                  Sometimes the needle goes in all the way, other times it doesn't. Both styles have worked.
                  Injecting slowly (I count almost to 10) helps me.

Injecting is a learning process, like riding a bike, so give yourself freedom to mess up.

Rotating is another secret to success with Copaxone.

And, it's unofficially OK to inject outside of the areas designated as injection areas.
                  I inject in many unofficial areas in my legs and buttocks.

Feeling alone with this disease has been my experience too.
                  No one else has this in my family (thank God), but I do understand finding this site and immediately connecting.

People don't 'get' MS until they get MS.

I'm so glad you are here.

Comment

Working...
                  X