Imuran as MS Treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imuran as MS Treatment

I have been given the option to take Imuran as a treatment for my MS. I'm one of the lucky ones that cannot do the shots, Gilenya gave me severe migraines. I've done some searching about this and not found a whole lot of specific info. My Neuro said that they use this in Europe and is one of the most widely RX'd drugs for MS there. Any help/feedback/experience is really appreciated!

Many years ago, Imuran was tested as an MS treatment. It didn't catch on as an MS treatment (at least in the US) because its performance wasn't that impressive. In hindsight, I have to wonder what that performance was if the CRAB drugs did become the protocol for RRMS and they slow progression by only about 33%.

One point of interest is that the newer MS therapies work more like immunosuppressants than immunomodulators. The risks are higher, but the performance is a bit better than the CRABs. It might be because the increased risk is now more acceptable than it was 20+ years ago. In that vein, another immunosuppressant -- Cellcept -- has gained popularity as an MS treatment. (I don't know about Europe, but it's being used in the US.) There was a study completed about a year ago that showed Cellcept to be as effective as Avonex in the reduction of brain lesions.

There are probably people with MS taking Imuran, but there doesn't seem to be any up-to-date study data on it. It's sort of old news -- that's probably why you couldn't find much information about it. On the other hand, there is current information available for Cellcept. It's worthwhile considering Cellcept, and worthwhile discussing with your neurologist why Cellcept wasn't among your treatment options.

I've been taking Imuran for years for NMO. I tried Cellcept for several months. It seemed to be working great, but I had to stop taking it because I had intolerable side effects. Most people seem to do well on both of them.

It's worth mentioning here that immunosuppressants -- including Imuran and Cellcept -- carry a risk of PML. But sometimes none of the choices are good.

Comment

I was given 4 options of drugs to switch to recently by my neuro. I'm currently on Copaxone & have been for almost 3 years after about 7 years of Betaseron. My options are switching to
      1. Rebif
      2. Gilenya
      3. Tysabri
      4. Continue w/ copaxone but add Imuran

I had never heard of Imuran & after a brief Google search I still didn't know much about it. Anyone ever heard of combing Imuran w/ Copaxone? It does not sound all that positive to me if it could cause PML as well. Don't really want to take something that could cause another infection, already enjoying this one incurable disease.

Thanks to anyone who has advice, information.

Nate

Comment

Working...
      X