Baclofen Pump question - BobOP ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mike,
    Sorry to hear what you are experiencing - it almost sounds like the baclofen is not getting to you -

I haven't had a pump replacement yet - got the implant in Jan 2011

Keep us posted and IP hope you get answers quickly !

Comment

Bob

I am brand spanking new to this site so if I'm not doing something right tell me please.
      My question involves the Baclofen Pump. I don't have one but it has been suggested to me. I have MS related contractures of my legs. I had surgery for a pressure sore and after the hopital stay I am now unable to straighten my legs out. Prior to surgey I was able to do this. I have been in physical therapy since March to break down the tone from post surgery complications.
      The things I've read about the pump trial scares me the most. I have spasms in my back and legs. When they insert the needle in my spine during the trial I'm scared a muscle spasm will cause permanent damage. Are you sedated in any way for this trial procedure? Any info from anyone would be helpful.
      Thank, Fastball.

Comment

Originally posted by Fastball View Post
        I am brand spanking new to this site so if I'm not doing something right tell me please.
        My question involves the Baclofen Pump. I don't have one but it has been suggested to me. I have MS related contractures of my legs. I had surgery for a pressure sore and after the hopital stay I am now unable to straighten my legs out. Prior to surgey I was able to do this. I have been in physical therapy since March to break down the tone from post surgery complications.
        The things I've read about the pump trial scares me the most. I have spasms in my back and legs. When they insert the needle in my spine during the trial I'm scared a muscle spasm will cause permanent damage. Are you sedated in any way for this trial procedure? Any info from anyone would be helpful.
        Thank, Fastball.
        As far as sedation for the test, I don't think that's usually part of the protocol, but I don't know why they couldn't give you a short acting anesthesia. It only takes about 5 minutes to do the procedure.

As far as contractures and the pump...Blue Giraffe would be the one to discuss that with you. I believe she has contractures, and she would be able to speak first hand as to what her experience has been.

I believe, from what I've read, that if your spasticity is severe and complicated by contractures, once the pump has been implanted they often keep you in the hospital longer for rehab. PT and the pump definitely go hand in hand, especially right after you first have it implanted.

I was able to do outpatient PT, because I was mobile before the pump, just didn't have any range of motion. It's almost like you have to learn to walk again, but basically, it's unlearning old habits of how you used to function with the spasticity, and how you can now function without it.

Hope others will have more info for you. I'm sure you've read it if you've checked out any of the baclofen pump threads, but most, not all, feel it was a very good decision. For me, I believe it was the best decision I've made in my MS treatment and symptom management.

Comment

Hi Fastball,

Can't answer about sedation; but would think your doctor would know and it would be a common request.

I took Xanax prior to the trial to calm my nerves some and the doctor was fine with it (and it helped me al ot). It was easy and quick.

I had severe spasticity, spasms and leg contractures.

The pump has been great for me - I only wish I would have gotten it sooner before the leg contractures became permanent. I can not straighten my legs, they stay bent to a degree which keeps me from standing/walking

The good news is I no longer have the pain, spasms or spasticity I had prior to the pump that was very painful. I no longer take any oral medications.

I would talk to your doctor about what could be done to address your concern - I wouldn't think it would be a factor in having the trial - but your doctor would need to answer that. I also think an experienced neurosurgeon is key to discuss with first.

Let me know if I can help with any other questions/concerns.

I am very happy I went through with it - for me it was my only option to improve my condition and keep it from getting worse (that was in my control).

Comment

Originally posted by Fastball View Post
            Thank, Fastball.
            Hi Fastball

First, I would like to welcome you to MS World

Just like RMDC & Blue, I would suggest contacting the dr who will be doing the pump study trial to address your concerns.

I have had a Baclofen pump since 1999. It has controlled the spasticity in my right leg.

Take Care, Bob

Comment

Working...
            X