Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extended side effects of Avonex?

Help.

I took only 4 doses of Avonex: all in June. First 2 doses were 1/2 dose, 3rd was full dose, 4th was 1/2 dose.

Side effects were horrific - so bad, I've decided I can't take Avonex, and stopped: last shot was June 26th.

Problem is: I feel like I am STILL having side effects. My body feels like I just took a shot yesterday, and it's been 3 weeks!

I seem to have caught a virus while on the Avonex: general practitioner has treated me with 2 rounds of antibiotics.

I've missed most of 3 weeks of work due to these feelings.

Does anyone out there know of a situation like this? I feel horrible, I can't work, the 'after a shot' symptoms continue, with added hearing loss ...

Ever heard of someone have extended/lasting side effects/permanent 'damage' due to Avonex? I fear I am never going to recover.

My gen practitioner thinks it's the virus making me sick, but it feels so much like the Avonex side effects.

Help!

wish i had some info to share. i have yet to take my avonex. i'm so sorry how horrible that you are still working on antibiotics to get better.

has the hearing loss improved? this is going to sound a bit nutty yet i get upper respitory infections each winter and medicine doesn't always work. yet what's helped me is apple cidar vinegar, the organic brand. sounds insane yet two tablespoons of that in hot water 3x a day within 3 days i was better.

its an old cure all thing used years ago. you can google it, give it a shot.

i hope you get better soon

hugs!
    Jen Dx'd 5/11
    "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

I took Avonex from 1998-2003. The first six months or so, I had flu-like side-effects. I learned to take my shot before bed and tried to give myself some down-time the next day. The side effects during that 6 months were not fun, but I stayed in remission the whole time I was on Avonex. While my disease course may have remained mild even without the Avonex, I like to think it made a difference.

After being on Avonex for a long time, I had no lingering side effects that I know of. I transitioned to Betaseron (2003-2010) and now am on Rebif.

I am sorry you had such a rough time with Avonex. Maybe another DMD would be better for you?

Blessings and good luck.

Comment

on avonex for almost 10 years

ive been on avonex since november 2001. i used naprelan CR for flu-like side effects. for some bizarre reason the brand name "naprelan cr" works better than generic form "naproxen" last month i started getting a weird rash from avonex. email me off list and i'll send you pix if you're that morbid. they want to switch me to copaxone now.

jim davis
        paramedic with MS

Comment

Working...
        X