Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how safe is xanax every day?

hi,

so i was wondering does anyone else use xanax? my neuro gave it to me to combat sleep issues i suddenly began to have a few weeks ago. it did calm down the twitching and my mind and allowed me to sleep at a low dosage half of .05mg.

yet i've been taking a little during the day when i find my newfound anxiety i now have also kicks up.

he gave me a script for klonipin if i want to switch to an everyday med. yet i dont' feel the need as of yet.

anyone else take it??
    Jen Dx'd 5/11
    "Live each day as if it were your last"

I take it for my two hour MRIs (brain and c spine), and it makes me grouchy afterwards. And it is addictive. There are better choices if anxiety is a regular occurence for you, like SSRIs. Ask your doc.

Comment

Xanax and Ativan are both benzodiazepines. Benzodiazepines are addictive. If addiction occurs, withdrawal can be difficult and dangerous and has to be closely supervised.

I took Ativan for a while and started to edge into addictive territory, at which point I withdrew from the drug and have never taken it again.

My understanding is that everyday use at very low dosages is okay for a while, but not for longterm treatment of sleep problems or anxiety. Intermittent use for anxiety attacks can safely be continued indefinitely, providing the dosage stays low.

Comment

My husband has just been told that he has possible MS after the results of a MRI. He is shceduled to have a Lumbar puncture on 7/26. He was given a prescription for Xanax by is PCP. He has used it as needed for aniexty. When he takes it all of the MS symtoms dissappear. I worry that he will become addicited. But it makes him feel better and helps him to maintain a normal life.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigergal View Post
          My husband has just been told that he has possible MS after the results of a MRI. He is shceduled to have a Lumbar puncture on 7/26. He was given a prescription for Xanax by is PCP. He has used it as needed for aniexty. When he takes it all of the MS symtoms dissappear. I worry that he will become addicited. But it makes him feel better and helps him to maintain a normal life.
          That was the source of my problem with Ativan: I liked it too much.

It didn't just help with sleeping and anxiety...it took away most of my spasticity too. In a word, I felt better.

Comment

Originally posted by sunshine008 View Post
            hi,

so i was wondering does anyone else use xanax? my neuro gave it to me to combat sleep issues i suddenly began to have a few weeks ago. it did calm down the twitching and my mind and allowed me to sleep at a low dosage half of .05mg.

yet i've been taking a little during the day when i find my newfound anxiety i now have also kicks up.

he gave me a script for klonipin if i want to switch to an everyday med. yet i dont' feel the need as of yet.

anyone else take it??
            I have been wondering the same thing! I am in the same position that you are, but take half of a 0.25 pill when needed. I am curious about the klonipin? Is this the "same" as xanax but safe to use more regularly than xanax is? I'm going to look into this as I don't want to become addicted to xanax, but find myself talking it more regularly than before.

Comment

Originally posted by jillmb View Post
              I I am curious about the klonipin?
              Klonopin is also a Benzodiazepine and has the same potential for addiction as any other Benzodiazepine. I have used Klonopin for 7 years, as needed and long term high dose. I have never had a problem with addiction.

I use Klonopin for an anxiety/panic disorder. I don't need it for sleep, I have no problems sleeping.

For anyone interested in information about Benzodiazepines:
              http://www.justice.gov/dea/concern/benzodiazepines.html
              Diagnosed 1984
              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Both my dad and my ex-husband have been taken Xanex every day for years. (Dad's been taking it for at least 30 years!)

I was taking 1/4 of a Xanax every night for awhile to help me sleep, but recently I found it was making me depressed. I didn't even want to get out of bed in the morning. I couldn't see the point of getting up. Not like me at all!

Now I take a Valium that my neurologist prescribed for the muscle spasms I have in my ribs when I wake up in the mornings. It helps me sleep too, but doesn't make me depressed.
                Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

i'm pretty familiar with pyschiatric meds, yet i've never used xanax before. my neuro was fighting me that klonipin was an ssri not a benzo.

so i gave up the fight. he said don't worry about addiction now. I dont' take it each night, camping I needed it bigtime. yet i'm back home and i think only used it once.

we have alot of stress in our home still, marriage issues, my daughter who has been off the charts lately. my oldest moved back in and we just learned we have a huge problem with my stepson.

so it's been intense, always seems to be here. he doesnt' want me to continue having relapses due to my environment that is triggering me. no amt of yoga can calm one thru this mess.
                  Jen Dx'd 5/11
                  "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

Originally posted by sunshine008 View Post
                    my neuro was fighting me that klonipin was an ssri not a benzo.
                    Many years ago Klonopin was used for depression.
                    Diagnosed 1984
                    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

For stress, general anxiety and depression, my DR prescribed Wellbutrin and also Klonopin (I really take the generic, Clonazepam).

The two really help.
                      I've never gotten addicted to the Klonopin.

My DR used to prescribe Xanax, but I could only get 30 days at a time and since it is watched so carefully, I chose to switch to the Clonazepam.
                      It does the same job, at the time was cheaper and I could get 90 days at a time.

Limiting stress is SO important!
                      It can trigger flares IMO. Scientists say no, but I beg to differ.
                      Seriously get your family to understand that.

Maybe consider an anti-depressant, like Wellbutrin.
                      It might help you handle things in general.
                      It really has helped me.

Depression and anxiety are just part of the disease, so don't feel like you or your family is failing. It took a long time to accept I need it, but now that I've been taking an anti-anxiety med and and anti-dpressant, I seem to be able to handle things better.

Good luck if you try the Klonopin. I give it a thumbs up.

Comment

Originally posted by twisterred View Post
                        For stress, general anxiety and depression, my DR prescribed Wellbutrin and also Klonopin (I really take the generic, Clonazepam).
                        I also use the generic for Klonopin (Clonazepam)

It's great if Wellbutrin is working for you but it's important to note, Wellbutrin, taken by those with anxiety disorders might cause an increase in anxiety.

Wellbutrin can also cause tremors, this can be confusing for someone with MS as it would be very easy to assume the tremors are MS related. Tremors caused by Wellbutrin will go away once the drug is discontinued.

Not all cases of depression and anxiety are a result of this disease
                        Diagnosed 1984

Comment

I only take my Zanex about three times a week when I can feel myself begin to stress like today when I had to have my long time companion weimeramer put down. I take ambien EVERY night for sleep. I have had a sleep study and the neuro told me it was bad so I have to go to the sleep study doctor on Tuesday and probably get a CPAC. Neuro said even with the ambien I am not getting a restful sleep which contributes to the daily fatigue. So we'll see Tuesday what the sleep doctor says. I am 61 years old and at my age I value every day and don't worry about getting adicted to anything if it makes my life better!

Comment

You have to be really careful taking xanax. Some people are immediately hooked. My son almost died in withdrawal. Of course he was taking way over the prescibed amount and the doctor just told him to stop taking it. He had hallucinations, severe twitching, passed out and stopped breathing. If his girlfriend had not been with him we would have lost him.

I took him to the hospital twice and they refused to even discuss that he was going through withdrawal. They thought he overdosed when he had actually been off of the zanax for a week. He was hallucinating so bad I finally took him to an inpatient drug center. He detoxed for two weeks under medical supervision. It was horrible!

The doc gave me a prescription for anxiety but I won't take it.

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                              Wellbutrin, taken by those with anxiety disorders might cause an increase in anxiety.

Wellbutrin can also cause tremors, this can be confusing for someone with MS as it would be very easy to assume the tremors are MS related. Tremors caused by Wellbutrin will go away once the drug is discontinued.

Not all cases of depression and anxiety are a result of this disease
                              Thanks Snoopy and yes, all of that is correct.
                              I've not had tremors with the two meds so if it encourages anyone, they can work for some people.

When I was diagnosed, I basically was just told MS can affect my mobility and that was all.
                              Depression was never mentioned and I feel like it can get overlooked. I guess that is why I mention it so often.

Thanks again, Snoopy.

The NMSS has a link regarding depression.
                              http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ion/index.aspx

Comment

Working...
                              X