No new nerve pain medication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No new nerve pain medication

Okay, I had been on amitryptilene for nerve pain in my skin for about 2 years. I usually only got it when I got a fever. This last flare, it was nothing BUT nerve pain. My doc increased my amitryptilene to 100 mg, but it wasn't doing any good. I called my doc about it again (even after the flare I'm still getting quite a bit of nerve pain left over in weird spots, like the middle of my hand; some days it's tolerable, other days its not) and she referred me to my local neurologist, said that I should go to him for pain issues related to my MS. Wait, what? But I had an appointment with him for my epilepsy, so I decided to talk to him about it.

I get in there, and one of my questions was I felt like my seizure control coverage was low, that I frequently felt like I was going to have a seizure. He thinks that's from the MS, but he's doing an EEG anyway. I'm on Trileptal and Keppra XR for seizures. So I asked if there was anyway I could get put on a different medication for the nerve pain, possibly neurontin, as the amitryptilene really isn't working. Oh, no, that's not possible. One, he doesn't prescribe anything for pain, but going on a third anti-convulsant would be overmedicating me. Plus, the Cymbalta I'm on (120 mg) should be taking care of my pain as its a first line pain medication. Um, yeah, for fibromyalgia, and I'm on it for depression and fibromyalgia. It hasn't touched the nerve pain. It helps my fibromyalgia, but it hasn't helped anything in regards to my MS.

So that's just it? I have to put up with this nerve pain?
    Diagnosis: May, 2008
    Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

i hear ya, have done cymbalta , gabapentin and lyrica for nerve pain, imho they are a waste of time, ask your nuero to give you a medical mj card if legal in your state that is about the only drug that works for me as far as pain.

Comment

Unfortunately, it's not yet legal in my state, although they've been working on it in the past year. I hate to say it, but I've already talked to my sister about the possibility of going the illegal route....
      Diagnosis: May, 2008
      Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Working...
      X