Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Betaseron - switch to Copaxone

Hi all -

I tried Betaseron last year (about 6 mos. after initial diagnosis) and had bad side effects.

I have not been taking anything since last September. Two new lesions on my MRI and a bad flare and my neuro strongly urging me to start on something.

I'm thinking Copaxone because it's not the same type of formulation as Betaseron.

I'm wondering if anyone here had probs with Beta and then switched to Copaxone and how things went.

It will also depend on their financial assistance program as I have a $ 2,000 annual prescrip cap on my insurance.

Thanks !

Same as me...

The side effects of Beta were too much for me.

I committed myself to Copaxone and swore that no lump, bump, itch or possible IPIR (Initial Post Injection Reaction) was going to stop my dedication to the med.
    That was over 10 years ago and I'm still injecting.
    Good MRI scans show that Copaxone is helping.

Things in the beginning were strange, but Copaxone takes time for one's body to adjust to.
    Just think of it as a learning process.
    I had huge lumps, bumps, itches and some achiness, but over time, things improved.
    It will take months, but keep in mind each injection is taking a "stab" at MS, ha ha.

As far as the assistance program, I'm also on that.
    Lots of paperwork to fill out, but worth it.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I'm hoping that I can afford it because I think Copaxone is the way I want to go rather than Rebif.

Not looking forward to injections every day, but I think I can get past that if I don't have bad side effects.

The Betaseron kept me awake, made me feel not myself at all and gave me heart palpitations and I was losing my hair. I didn't realize how awful I was really feeling until I actually stopped taking it.

Comment

I have'nt taken anything but Copaxone...but I encourage you to deal with the side effects remembering why you take the med.

To me the side effects are minimal for the possible result.

j
        Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I will probably be more willing to tolerate some side effects this time around due to getting the flare and new lesions.

I felt so awful on the Beta that I couldn't "live" life. It affected my quality of life so much that I would rather have a flare here and there than have to live like that every day. And the heart palpitations scared me.

Now things are different because I know I can try something else and I do want to prevent new lesions.

Comment

Originally posted by cosake View Post

Now things are different because I know I can try something else and I do want to prevent new lesions.

Yay!!

Starting Copaxone is an experience.
            Give yourself and the medication lots of grace.
            It's like learning anything new and unfamiliar.

For myself, starting Copaxone was very different than Betaseron, mostly because I was so happy that I wasn't feeling so ill from the Beta side effects.

My fingers are crossed for you!

Comment

Thank you - now I just have to hope to qualify for their assistance program !

Comment

Cosake, my only DMD to date is Copaxone so I have no comparison to provide. But it does take quite a while to get used to....I just kept doing it believing that in the long run the welts/pain/shot marks are worth it!

Hopefully, Shared Solutions can help with the co-pay portion for you!

Comment

I have been taking Copaxone since I was dx in April and the side effects have pretty much not been a issue. Just a couple bumps at first that lasted a day at most. Now I don't have any issues.

I would suggest Copaxone to anyone because the side effects are nothing like what I read about the other drugs. That and Shared Solutions have been great. Luckily my insurance covered the drug (only $30 for a 3 month supply) so I didn't have to deal with the assistance program.

I hope that it all works out for you and you have no issues with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X