Nuvigil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuvigil

Just got a prescription for Nuvigil, any good or bad side effects? Did it help? If it did not help, what did help you? Thanks for your advice I don't know what i would do without everyone here.

Starting my 3rd month

on Nuvigil. My first week, I had insomnia . About the only side effect I've had since I started. It works fairly well. Works best on the mental fatigue/ fog, and only marginally well on the physical fatigue. I work full time so I do like it's help with the mental fatigue. I get thru the work day and am not so wiped out as I used to be.

I think I'm going to ask about going on the highest dose. I'm taking 150mg. There is a 250mg and I'd like to see if that would help with the general fatigue too.

Good Luck to you.
    T-tk (dx RR 10/08 Copax.2008)
    Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way.

Comment

I took Provigil a few times and had horrible chest pain each time. I finally put two and two together and stopped taking it. I didn't really notice much of an improvement in my fatigue levels anyway. I have not tried Nuvigil because I'm afraid the same thing might happen with it. (I also took Amantadine and other prescription meds for fatigue, but they didn't help either.)

In September of 2009, after reading a post on these message boards, I started treating fatigue with two anti-oxidant supplements, alpha lipoic acid and acetyl L-carnitine. The results are nothing short of a miracle. Whereas before, just working two hours was exhausting, combing my hair was an effort, and going to the store was next to impossible, since I've been taking these supplements, I can work 14 hour days, go shopping for hours at a time, and do everything I did before the fatigue started.

There are university studies which show they can be very effective in treating MS fatigue, chronic fatigue syndrome, fatigue from cancer and it's therapy, and fatigue from aging. Granted, some people may not notice a difference for whatever reason (not taking them regularly, not taking enough, different body chemistry, etc.) but when they work, they work great! You just have to be sure to discuss them with your doctor, especially if you're taking any thyroid or diabetic medications, as they can increase the effectiveness of these meds, which might necessitate a dosage adjustment.

There are a lot of people here who are having a lot of success in treating fatigue with ALA and ALC. Do a search here and on Google and you'll find a lot of great information on these supplements.

Hugs,

Lisa
      Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
      Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
      Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

ALC

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
        I took Provigil a few times and had horrible chest pain each time. I finally put two and two together and stopped taking it. I didn't really notice much of an improvement in my fatigue levels anyway. I have not tried Nuvigil because I'm afraid the same thing might happen with it. (I also took Amantadine and other prescription meds for fatigue, but they didn't help either.)

In September of 2009, after reading a post on these message boards, I started treating fatigue with two anti-oxidant supplements, alpha lipoic acid and acetyl L-carnitine. The results are nothing short of a miracle. Whereas before, just working two hours was exhausting, combing my hair was an effort, and going to the store was next to impossible, since I've been taking these supplements, I can work 14 hour days, go shopping for hours at a time, and do everything I did before the fatigue started.

There are university studies which show they can be very effective in treating MS fatigue, chronic fatigue syndrome, fatigue from cancer and it's therapy, and fatigue from aging. Granted, some people may not notice a difference for whatever reason (not taking them regularly, not taking enough, different body chemistry, etc.) but when they work, they work great! You just have to be sure to discuss them with your doctor, especially if you're taking any thyroid or diabetic medications, as they can increase the effectiveness of these meds, which might necessitate a dosage adjustment.

There are a lot of people here who are having a lot of success in treating fatigue with ALA and ALC. Do a search here and on Google and you'll find a lot of great information on these supplements.

Hugs,

Lisa

Lisa- I tried ALC and it helped for about a week and then it stopped working and I did not get any relief of my leg and arm fatigue just physical fatigue. I am still taking ALC because by neuro said they were good supplements just not scientifically proven to help with MS fatigue so we decided to try Nuvigil. To tell you the truth, one of your prior posts convinced me to try ALC. I am happy it is working so well for you, I wish I could say the same.

Comment

Amanda, it sounds like you have muscle weakness, and while ALA will help to some extent, it works best on the physical fatigue.

You really need to take both ALA and ALC together, along with a Vitamin B complex, to get the full effect of the supplements. Also, in the university studies, the dosage was 2,000 mg of ALC and 400 mg of ALA, so you may need to increase your dosage as well.

It sounds like you were off to a good start with ALA. You may just need to tweak your dosages and add the rest of the regimen if you can.

Good luck and hugs. I hope you get some relief soon.

Lisa
          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Working...
          X