Botox for bladder dysfunction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Botox for bladder dysfunction

Hi. I am newly diagnosed and 33 years young. Now I have overactive bladder. I just finished all the tests and meds from the urologist. My bladder is very spastic and the medication is not working. He now suggests Botox as a last resort that would be most beneficial to me. Self cath I have not done and would not work for me at this point. I am still doing some research on this before I say yes. I do know it is not FDA approved so my insurance may not cover it. That I will check asap. Has anyone had the injection before? If so, how were the results for you. Thanks in advance.

Hi whitefrazier, welcome to MSWorld!

I knew a woman on another MS board a couple years ago who got regular Botox injections in her bladder. The usual meds for spastic bladder hadn't worked for her.

Although the injections were painful, they solved her bladder problem completely. I can't remember how often she had to have the procedure repeated; I'd imagine it varies from person to person.

Comment

Hey whitefrazier, nice to meet you

I have no choice but to get Botox inj about every 1-2 years. I have a strange bladder, so I'm told! Mine is very under-active along with severe spasms. Any type of cathing wouldn't solve this problem, went to 2 urologists.

They put you "under" so you feel nothing... just a little bit of burning with first urination. It's amazing when there's no more horrible spasms!!!! they'd get so bad I'd actually pass out

Every insurance is different, as you know. Some won't pay cuz they say it's experimental. But my doc told me they've been using this for over 10 years!

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by NancyN View Post

I have no choice but to get Botox inj about every 1-2 years. I have a strange bladder, so I'm told! Mine is very under-active along with severe spasms. Any type of cathing wouldn't solve this problem, went to 2 urologists.

They put you "under" so you feel nothing... just a little bit of burning with first urination. It's amazing when there's no more horrible spasms!!!! they'd get so bad I'd actually pass out

Every insurance is different, as you know. Some won't pay cuz they say it's experimental. But my doc told me they've been using this for over 10 years!

Good luck
        That's interesting. The woman I knew had Botox treatments more often than you do, and she wasn't put under for the procedure.

I guess it depends on which doctor a person sees.

Glad to hear Botox is working for you!

Comment

Thanks

Thank you so much for all your input. You have help me in my decision making. All I have heard is that Botox has helped and that's a good thing. I will checkk my insurance and I hope they dot consider it experimental due to it not being fda approved. Thanks again and have a great day.

B]
          Originally posted by NancyN View Post

Good luck

Comment

Working...
          X